Do You Have Any Embarrassing Repair Mistakes?

/ Do You Have Any Embarrassing Repair Mistakes? #1  

Briana03

Elite Member
Tractor
None
We've all had them---those foolish mistakes made during a tractor or equipment repair that hurt our tractors (or ourselves). We've seen them sprinkled all over the forums, so how about we take a minute to laugh them off in this one dedicated thread? :laughing:

Don't be shy, let's hear your story! Your silly mess-up will (hopefully) be a whole new perspective on tractor safety/care/etc. to other members here. So what made you say, "whoops..."? :eek:

/ Do You Have Any Embarrassing Repair Mistakes? #2  
Pulled 4r100 out of super duty. I still laugh looking at my jack picture. Oily wood slipped out like a bar of soap and transmission ended up side down in the gravel next to me. Didn't tear it up but the sad thing is I do a lot of equipment rigging and move large machines at work. I still dont know what was going through my head when I did that.

Attachments

• image-2937673397.jpg
    image-2937673397.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 588
   / Do You Have Any Embarrassing Repair Mistakes?
Pulled 4r100 out of super duty. I still laugh looking at my jack picture. Oily wood slipped out like a bar of soap and transmission ended up side down in the gravel next to me. Didn't tear it up but the sad thing is I do a lot of equipment rigging and move large machines at work. I still dont know what was going through my head when I did that.

Haha! That's a great picture! Thanks for sharing. :laughing:

Yup, even the best of us do odd things sometimes... ;)

/ Do You Have Any Embarrassing Repair Mistakes? #4  
Haha! That's a great picture! Thanks for sharing. :laughing:

Yup, even the best of us do odd things sometimes... ;)

I never make any mistakes. :cool2: Well that is unless I try to do something. :rolleyes:

/ Do You Have Any Embarrassing Repair Mistakes? #5  
Shattered this trucks back window out loading a cart. That was on a Monday, we just had it replaced the previous friday. Won my argument about headache racks lol.

Attachments

• image-2365007879.jpg
    image-2365007879.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 355
   / Do You Have Any Embarrassing Repair Mistakes? #6  
One thing I learned a long time ago is to take a break every so often when doing any repair and sit back and go threw everything mentally you have done since the last break, that way if you forgot something you are not that far ahead, and it is easier to go back and fix it. If it is a motor turning it 720 degrees is a good idea ever time.
One other thing I learned from a very smart guy, when talking to the someone that is big on criticizing is to look on their desk. They put erasers on everybody's pencils.

/ Do You Have Any Embarrassing Repair Mistakes? #7  
Changed oil in my ZTR mower last week and started pouring in the oil, after a half gallon it was still just touching the stick so I went to get another gallon jug. Upon returning with the new gallon, THEN I noticed oil all over the ground under the mower; I had forgotten to put the plug back in the drain hose. First time that has ever happened to me on oil changes.
That cost me 2 quarts of full synthetic.

/ Do You Have Any Embarrassing Repair Mistakes? #8  
Maytag washer broke the belt so smart me when to the auto parts store and got a perfect size replacement. Installed and it kept kicking the motor reset. Hmm is the motor bad?

Finally broke down and read up on it, and sure enough had to get a "washer belt" from Maytag - they are designed to slip I guess but that one had me stumped for a bit.

/ Do You Have Any Embarrassing Repair Mistakes?
Changed oil in my ZTR mower last week and started pouring in the oil, after a half gallon it was still just touching the stick so I went to get another gallon jug. Upon returning with the new gallon, THEN I noticed oil all over the ground under the mower; I had forgotten to put the plug back in the drain hose. First time that has ever happened to me on oil changes.
That cost me 2 quarts of full synthetic.

Oh wow, that's a bummer.

/ Do You Have Any Embarrassing Repair Mistakes? #10  
how about getting a rented bobcat stuck...and needing my ram 250 and a few people (most spectaters) to get it out.....all the time on the clock 1200.00c