Water in the oil....

/ Water in the oil.... #1  

Stokes

Bronze Member
Hey guys,
Yesterday, I bought an older Yanmar 1300D at auction. They, of course, limit the kinds of inspections you can do, and I basically wasn't allowed to touch it. The did have an employee start it up, drive it around, and run the hydraulics through their range.

But, after getting it home.... devistation.

The radiator is like a milkshake.
The inside the oil filler cap looks the same.
And, it even looks like a milkshake in the rear end (transaxle?).

Is there any saving this? I'm afraid of draining it and letting it sit, as it might start to rust up real bad.

/ Water in the oil.... #2  
That is very unfortunate. I can't say I've ever been to an auction where you couldn't pull the dip stick and climb around on the machines. :confused:

What about draining everything and filling it with diesel? Let it sit a while then drain, replace filters and and refill with oil.

/ Water in the oil.... #3  
I'd still change all the fluids and see what you got. Flush the radiator......drain engine, axle and hyd oils. Change all the filters.....and clean the screen on your hyd. oil. I had milky fluid in my hyd. oil when I got my 186d due to a bad filler cap.....once drained......filter change and screen cleaning....all is well several years later. On the those little yannies....you can run ATF or JD 303 for the hyd. oil. 90 wt. in the axle gears and Delo in engine. If the fluids are really bad.....run the new stuff thru for 20 hrs.......then change again. I am betting your tractor will be fine after changing fluids. Also.....check out the Yanmar forum on TBN.....lots of great info. out there. Good luck.....:thumbsup:

/ Water in the oil....
What do you guys think of this procedure:

1) Drain all of the milkshakes
2) Flush radiator with regular water.
3) Refill engine and rear end with diesel and let it sit for a few days.
4) Drain out diesel, replace all filters, and fill with appropriate fluids.

Worth a shot? Should I skip the diesel 'flushing' part of this?

/ Water in the oil.... #5  
   / Water in the oil.... #6  
You said it ran and all worked for the demo....right? I would personally skip the diesel soak.....drain as mentioned above....flush out radiator.... put in new fluids and filters and run for a few hrs. Then do it again like I mentioned. Don't forget that screen cleaning.....that's important.:thumbsup:

/ Water in the oil....
Yes, it ran and worked for the demo, and I even drove it off my trailer and around the yard a little bit before I started to tear into it.

Would the diesel soak actually hurt anything, or do you just think it's unnecessary?

/ Water in the oil.... #8  
Probably wouldn't hurt anything......I just don't think it's required unless you find some real rust chunks. I don't think you will. Like I mentioned......I had some similar problems.....changed fluids.....filters....cleaned screens.....all is well. By the way....if you need any parts.....Hoye Tractor is great.....would highly recommend them. Also.....as mentioned....check out the Yanmar forum.

/ Water in the oil.... #9  
Buy cheap oil as you will be doing again after running for a bit! IT sometimes takes two or three times to get them clean. You might also want to try cleaning the radiator with more then water as oil needs more to get it out and it will hinder cooling.

/ Water in the oil.... #10  
drain and refill engine.. run engine with rad cap off.. look for compression in rad.

rest of the tractor is less important if the block or head is beyond hope..