Toro Z253 - cutting deck cuts off while cutting?

/ Toro Z253 - cutting deck cuts off while cutting? #1  

pacerula

Tractor
Toro Z253
I have a Toro zero turn, Z-253. While cutting, the mover deck randomly stops and will not re-engage. After the tractor is turned off and cools down for awhile, the mover deck will re-engage. This does no happen all the time, it is random. What could be causing this?

/ Toro Z253 - cutting deck cuts off while cutting? #2  
Don't have a Toro, but typically the mower deck is run by a solenoid clutch - no power, no blade rotation. Easiest scenario - a loose push-on connection.

Trickier - I've run into this with other coils, specifically automotive ignition -

These coils have very small gauge solid conductor wire so they can get lots of turns in a small area - this gives more "pull" for a solenoid. Occasionally, due to vibration usually, this tiny wire will get a hairline break INSIDE the coil somewhere.

As the coil cools, it contracts and this break makes contact (the wires touch) - when you apply power, the coil warms up and the break separates again - no current = no blade rotation. Cools off - ends of the break come back together, blade runs.

Very frustrating the first time it happens to you - "fool me once, yada yada..."

If you're lucky, it'll just be a loose push-on - fix may be as simple as slightly squeezing the female half back together so it makes better contact, or crimping on a new one (try auto parts stores, these are usually 1/4 inch size)

Hope this helps... Steve

If yours takes long enough to start working again and you have a multimeter, as soon as it stops working you may be able to pull off one of the connectors to the solenoid and quickly check continuity of the coil - this should tell you whether you need a new solenoid or there is a wire loose/broken somewhere else in the circuit.

/ Toro Z253 - cutting deck cuts off while cutting?
Thanks Steve!

/ Toro Z253 - cutting deck cuts off while cutting? #4  
Glad to help - please post back when you fix it; it might help someone else, especially if you find something different than the possibilities I outlined... Steve