Loss of power, Case 511b

/ Loss of power, Case 511b #1  

odinsworn

Tractor
JI Case 511B
I have a Case 511b that I bought from an elderly fellow last summer to blow snow. It has worked so so, and recently I've REALLY noticed a loss of power, it barely can roll over berms that it has created itself. Even last summer though, when I was using it to skid logs, I noticed that on a grade the hand clutch would pop out, and it really had trouble with grade unless it was in 1rst in the low range. In direct or high, forget even climbing a slight grade. I have noticed that I have listen to a certain whine when climbing a grade, and slowly adjust the throttle depending on the whine. When he sold it to me, and went over his list of tips, he mentioned the loss of power, and said that the clutch needed to be adjusted from time to time. But he wasn't talking about the external adjustment on the lever, he was talking about inside the Shuttle compartment, which has the hi, direct, lo shift lever on it. Circled in yellow in the attached image tractor controls.jpg

I have had it off twice now, once trying to adjust it blind in the fluid, and once trying to find it fully drained, and I can't find anything that can be "Pulled up and rotated over" as Lou, the elderly fellow suggested. I have the parts catalog that he gave me with it, so if anyone has an idea of what part he might be talking about manually adjusting, I should be able to find it on there. OR, if someone thinks I'm barking up the wrong tree, please feel free to give me a cyber slap upside the head. I'm a first time tractor owner, and the only exposure I have previously had to them has been very limited, so perhaps there's just some technique I am missing in operating it.

Thanks guys!

/ Loss of power, Case 511b #3  
   / Loss of power, Case 511b
Thanks so much for the link! I did a bit of googling, but didn't come across that. Even though it is a different model, it looks identical under the triple range cover. I'll let you know if it works.

/ Loss of power, Case 511b #5  
I see your in Northern Mi. I would check with the Case Dealer in Traverse City. I have contacted them and asked for the service dept on a piece of equip. They have been very helpful.

/ Loss of power, Case 511b
I see your in Northern Mi. I would check with the Case Dealer in Traverse City. I have contacted them and asked for the service dept on a piece of equip. They have been very helpful.

I have called them a couple times, while very friendly, they didn't seem to have much help for anything of that vintage. The Case IH dealer in Gaylord has been much more helpful. Not to mention only 20 miles way. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I know it's been awhile but I did follow the instructions in the link, sort of, for me, being a man of rather wide shoulders, I couldn't use both hands in the manner described by the fellow in the yesterday's tractors thread. I had to use one hand, and in that method, clockwise is tighten, counterclockwise is loosen, just like most other things. I can only assume that using the gear to turn it reverses it. Thanks again ever so much for the link.