"Real" R-1's becoming extinct?

/ "Real" R-1's becoming extinct? #1  

chim

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, Ford 1210
\"Real\" R-1\'s becoming extinct?

The Ford 1210 I had planned on selling when the Kubota followed me home last year never got advertised, much less sold. It has been too handy to have around. It needs new shoes all around. This became real clear after an episode on a bank last week. The rears are original 1983+/- vintage, and I did replace the fronts about 8 or 9 years ago. The lugs on all four tires are more like "bumps" after many hours of service.

Anyway, I went to the local Firestone store to get a set of four new R1's just like the originals. The salesman showed me the replacements he had in stock, and man were they wimpy. The ribs on the 5-12 front tires couldn't have been 3/4" high. I told him nope, need the ones with the deep lugs. The originals looked like they had small shovels for ribs when compared with the new offering. He told me Firestone redesigned their small R1's, and this was it. When I asked him why the'd do such a thing, he said the redesigned tires were cheaper, and nobody wanted to spend the extra money to get the old style, so they were dropped.

Phone calls to 5 other places seemed to bear this out. One dealer did have a pair of rears (8-16) that were exactly what I was after, but no fronts. Snapped them up. Fortunately, my Kubota dealer was able to locate 5-12's for the front. He said he knew what I wanted, and he would get them in for me to look at. If they didn't suit me, no obligations. What a guy. Looks like I may be back in business.

Anybody else run into this?........................chim

/ "Real" R-1's becoming extinct? #2  
Re: \"Real\" R-1\'s becoming extinct?

I think my kubotas got bridgestones on the front . did they have good firestones for the back?

/ "Real" R-1's becoming extinct?

Yes. The new Firestones for the rear are the exact same design as the worn out Firestones that came off. I don't know what brand the fronts will be till I see them in a couple days...........chim

/ "Real" R-1's becoming extinct? #4  

are ya sure your original tires wernt rice tires? seems like the cleats on a compact tire wouldnt be much more than 3/4 of an inch anyhow, i mean heck the tires on my ford 8000 only have maybe an inch and a quarter of lug height, and those tires are about 6 ft tall, so it seems proportionaly a little tractor tire would have less lug height. also how did ya manage to wear down those tires so much in only 20 years, are ya using it comercialy or running on the road alot? my fathers ford NAA has had the same tires on it for probably 15-20 years and it gets used regularly, even run on the road a decent amount, but the tires hardly show any wear at all, chunks taken out here and there and little cuts but still plenty of cleat left, thats why i wonder if ya may have had rice tires originaly since i think those are usualy very soft rubber

/ "Real" R-1's becoming extinct? #5  

I agree with you mark, sounds like rice tires, they were r-1 type tread but the lugs are alot taller.

/ "Real" R-1's becoming extinct? #6  

I had new fronts put on mine 2 years ago because I had a cut in the side of one and both were weather cracked. (7-16s if I remember correctly). The first thing I thought when they brought the new ones out was "Wow. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I didn't realize how much mine were worn". The old tires were "real" R1s and still had pretty good lugs. But the new ones were quite a bit deeper.

/ "Real" R-1's becoming extinct? #7  

7-16's and 8-16's are very common, they are used on a lot of new tractors. I don't know what the tread depth is but thy are on the Firestone site. Have you checked with Titan for your 5-16's? Firestone 7-16's & 8-16's

/ "Real" R-1's becoming extinct? #8  

Here are your 5-12's. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Firestone 5-12's

/ "Real" R-1's becoming extinct? #9  

The first time I actually looked at the tires on my mitsu, I thought hey river boat paddles.

/ "Real" R-1's becoming extinct?

THAT"S THEM! The Ford had Firestone R1's on when I got it, and that is what I used on the fronts when I replaced them once before. Only problem is the guy at the Firestone store says they have been discontinued in favor of the "girly tires". He said the "AR1" designation was history.

I have probably put over 150 road miles on the tractor since the first time I replaced the fronts just getting back and forth between home and Mom-in-law's place. She has around 5-1/2 acres of yard I have been cutting. My utility trailer isn't up to hauling the tractor, so I had been driving back and forth.

One of the reasons I went with the R4's on the Kubota was I thought they'd hold up better for road use. I have been quite pleased with the R4's. They have done well in all seasons. This past Winter they got a good workout in the snow with the 6' rear blade and FEL. For while I thought about going R4 on the Ford..........................chim