BX23 transmission cooling fan 1 hour fix

/ BX23 transmission cooling fan 1 hour fix #1  

usmc5953

Tractor
2004 BX23
I just figured out how to replace the cooling fan for the BX23 transmission cooling fan. It should take an hour tops. You use a rachet strap on the drive shaft. Maybe someone already though of it and posted it. All my searches found hours and alot of work. Getting the strap in the right place and angle is key. I took pictures of where the strap is located. You can email me and I will give you the photos I will even talk you through the process on the phone if needed. I am very happy that I dont have to take the tractor apart to fix this. You do not have much room but it is possible. You have to do it exactly right to get the result. I am going to get the new fan tomorrow and ask the dealer how long it should take and see what they say, lol. I have already remove the defective fan and coupler it as mounted to. The new fan should go back in easy. I am getting the skid plate soon.

/ BX23 transmission cooling fan 1 hour fix
Welcome

Here is a link on how post the photos on the forum.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/photos/107314-photo-posting-how.html

If you don't want to do it pm me and Ill shoot you an email address and I'll put them up for you.

tom

These are a few of the photos. The idea is to pull the drive shaft back toward the motor to give you just enough room to get the fan in. I would not put a lot of pressure on the shaft, but watch each joint as you ratchet the strap, once they stop compressing give it about 1 to 2 more clicks and you should be ok. I get the new fan tomorrow and I am sure it will go in with ease. I took the coupler and the broken fan off in one piece with just a little turning and getting it just right.

Andrew G

Attachments

• OPEN SPACE.jpg
    OPEN SPACE.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 804
  • FAN GOING IN PLACE.jpg
    FAN GOING IN PLACE.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 728
  • PLACEMENT OF STRAP HOOKS..jpg
    PLACEMENT OF STRAP HOOKS..jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 794
   / BX23 transmission cooling fan 1 hour fix #4  
Interesting method... and one level easier than the 'split-in-half and hose-clamp-in-place' method.

Interesting method... and one level easier than the 'split-in-half and hose-clamp-in-place' method.

As long as the strap is placed right and everything goes well it is pretty easy. I just put mine on today and it fit , just enough room
Not a mm more than I needed. If the ratchet strap would not have worked I probably would have split the fan and bolted it back on.
I just hope I helped someone that needed it because when I figured out I could compress it enough I was very happy and relieved.

Andrew

If you used it I hope it worked. I know there is pressure against the motor using the strap so maybe if you losen the
Motor mounts a little you may get a few more mm of room. Hardest part is to keep the strap in place as you start to tighten it. Just make sure it is secure pretty good so it wont slip off while your hands are in the way.

Andrew

Not sure but if someone need my help you can email me at aol. My address is andrewgiammerino at aol dot com.

/ BX23 transmission cooling fan 1 hour fix #8  
Broke mine today so I'll let you know how this works.

/ BX23 transmission cooling fan 1 hour fix #9  
Always a timely topic for us BX owners!

/ BX23 transmission cooling fan 1 hour fix #10  
Shipmate; welcome to the TBN crowd. That's a great item on the fan replacement; and timely, as I need to replace the one on my BX25. I will definitely try your way first. The dealer wants $600, they follow the Workshop Manual to the letter, which means moving the engine forward and labor is $125/HR. It's not urgent right now as ambient temps are dropping and we use the tractor almost every day. I have almost 1000 HRS in less than 3 years so shop time is premium time. I work in wooded areas a lot on the place so the fan is vulnerable. I have been reluctant on the skid plate as that is another thing to remove to do service. I will need to do some shop time soon as the little repairs are piling up. I dropped a log on the instrument cowling so gages are out of service.