MF1533 Intake noise??

/ MF1533 Intake noise?? #1  

rbelden

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1533
Good Morning all. Started it up this am to grade the road and it is making what sounds like a hollow popping noise from the air filter canister. It gets loud if I remove the filters. It's drawing air and running but there's something not right? Checked fluids and obvious stuff but nothing out of the ordinary. Anybody familiar with this?

/ MF1533 Intake noise?? #2  
Sounds like either a burned intake valve, or the lifter clearance needs to be adjusted. Have you checked the clearance?

/ MF1533 Intake noise??
Thanks for the reply. I suspected a broken spring or valve stuck open but I always try to look for the simple solutions first. I plan to pop the valve cover tonight and examine the valves/spring/seats. I'll post back so anyone else might know what to look for if they are having the same symptoms.

/ MF1533 Intake noise??
Well here's the verdict. One seriously pitted head/valve chamber. One pitted intake valve. Kind of disappointed at the situation since this tractor only has 700 hours on it. Sure it's 7 years old but the fluids are maintained (with expensive amsoil I might add). Anyway, is it possible that a failed injector caused this? I didn't notice any loss of power before the noise started. The head gasket appeared to be intact so I'm not sure where the moisture was coning from that pitted the head so terribly. Any suggestions? head.jpg