case cx-70 electical troubleshooting advice needed

/ case cx-70 electical troubleshooting advice needed #1  

jtn3

Tractor
case
I am attempting to sort out an intermittent electrical problem on a case cx-70.

Symptoms have progressed along this timeline:

1. Operating in hot weather the dash warning lights stay on after tractor is shut down.
2. Then, after doing this for awhile, last summer occasionally the 3 point hitch would not raise or lower.
By disconnecting the battery for a few minutes it would reset and work fine for weeks at a time.
3. This winter the 3 point stopped working and the dash board gauges stopped working correctly....fuel gauge pinned on empty, hour meter dead, tach dead. Disconnecting the battery would not reset it.

I have done the following:

Fuses are all good.
Removed the relay - lift enable - swapped over another one from the same group and things worked correctly again. Bought new relay to replace the one i assumed was bad...everything worked fine.
Got up the next morning...back to the original problem.
Disconnected and reattached battery...works fine.
Used the tractor some, back to original problem.
Disconnecting battery does not seem to reset things now.

The problem with the hitch causes the problem with the dash since the dash works fine when the hitch is working.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be or how to troubleshoot/find the issue?

Thanks for any help.

/ case cx-70 electical troubleshooting advice needed #2  
Well, I would have said that it was a ground problem, probably corrosion on a ground connection. That would explain a lot but it wouldn't keep the warning lights on after the tractor is shut down. So my second guess is that there are a couple of wires that are shorted together. Are there any heat spots on wiring that you can spot? Most likely under the dash itself. There can also be some chafing on wires that has caused some to rub together. There are diagnostic wiring tools that are made to determine where wiring has shorts (how many inches away from the meter, etc.) that helps troubleshoot this kind of thing, but since there isn't all that much wiring on these tractors, it is something that probably can be visually determined.

Good luck!

/ case cx-70 electical troubleshooting advice needed
It seems to have been a ground issue. Cleaned up and tightened several different ground points and problems are gone. Don't know why it was creating different symptoms at different times but in the end it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for your advice.