Ford 2910 started/ ran like a champ last fall; now won't even turn over.

/ Ford 2910 started/ ran like a champ last fall; now won't even turn over. #1  

ehouser

Tractor
Ford/2910
Greetings to all....

I have a Ford 2910, Series II (diesel) which I purchased last year with 1800 hours on it. Like the title to my post states, it started and ran like a champ. I went to start it recently and it turned over really slowly for about 5 seconds and then nothing. I had the battery checked/ load tested at TSC and it checks out just fine (Over 900 CCA @ 32 degrees and over 800 CCA at 0 degrees). I thought it may be the ignition so I pulled it out and checked it with a volt meter. Voltage at the start position and voltage at the run position. Next I checked the solenoid. voltage at the solenoid as well with the key in the start position. I pulled the solenoid from the starter, cleaned it and put it back but still nothing. I did notice the voltage regulator had the black wire snipped completely and it is not plugged into the plug as the other wires from the voltage regulator are; which is how it was when I purchased it and it ran fine. I know the alternator had been replaced by the dealer from whom I purchased the tractor and like I said it was charging/ running fine. I have been doing some reading regarding upgrading the alternator, which from what I understand, requires a bit of wiring modification, however this being my first "real" tractor, I am not certain if this new alternator is any different than the original and/ or if it would have anything to do with the tractor not starting. I did pull the instrument cluster and noticed there are several wires from the wiring harness which are not plugged into the instrument cluster and/ or the ignition switch, however unless a wire came loose between the time I parked it the last time it ran and it not starting, I don't think it has anything to do with it. I have searched for a wiring diagram for the instrument cluster, ignition and the entire tractor in general but have not found one. I have purchased two manuals- one is a repair manual and the other an operator's manual, both of which do not have wiring diagrams. I have read about the neutral safety switch and looked on my tractor but I do not think it is hooked up and/ or has one. I'm thinking it is either the solenoid or starter but just short of buying part after part and replacing them one at a time, I was wondering if there is anyone who has experienced the same issue or has the knowledge to point me in the right direction. Also, anyone with a wiring diagram for the tractor who is willing to share would be much appreciated. Like I said earlier, I have already removed the solenoid from the tractor and put it back after cleaning it and was going to pull the starter next but was wondering if I'm overlooking something less involved which may be causing the "no start". I have been beating my head on the concrete trying to figure this out!! Thanks in advance!!

/ Ford 2910 started/ ran like a champ last fall; now won't even turn over. #2  
I would cross out the solenoid with a screwdriver and then if it does not start or spn fast take the starter out and connect battery cable to it? I know others would not but thats me.

/ Ford 2910 started/ ran like a champ last fall; now won't even turn over. #3  
It may be as simple as some bad battery cables(or ends). If the cable(s), especially the positive, has the bolt on type "willfitter" terminals on the battery end of the cable, start right there. Every time I get a "no start" call and see those cable ends, it's the first thing I replace. Also, most of the older Fords had the ground cable bolted to a stud on the starter. If yours is bolted anywhere else, make sure it's a good connection. Last, and not always easiest, is to remove the start signal wire from the solenoid and jump the terminal(usually a male spade on the engine side of the solenoid) with a hot 12v jumper and see what the starter does. If the battery voltage, cables and connections are all good, the starter should crank at this point. If it doesn't, you may have a bad starter.

/ Ford 2910 started/ ran like a champ last fall; now won't even turn over.
I cleaned the battery terminals and replaced the negative terminal end as it was worn and corroded. I will definitely check the negative cable to see where it is bolted, make sure it is good and then jump the solenoid. I have a feeling it is the starter, but shouldn't the solenoid make noise even if the starter is bad? Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

/ Ford 2910 started/ ran like a champ last fall; now won't even turn over. #5  
Not necessarily. On some starters the solenoid coil will ground through the brushes, so if that circuit is incomplete, the solenoid will not activate.

Thanks! I will start with the solenoid and then check the starter. I appreciate all the expertise....

Today I removed the starter, broke it down, cleaned the brushes and contacts and re-installed it but no start. I previously removed and cleaned the solenoid last week. I have voltage at the top post of the solenoid in the "run" position and voltage at the bottom post of the solenoid at the start position but still no start and/ or clicking, trying to start, etc. I have a feeling it may be the ignition switch, however if I jump the tractor at the solenoid it should take the ignition switch completely out of the equation, right? I tried to jump the solenoid for just a blink to see if the solenoid would make noise and/ or the starter would turn over but it did not. So I guess I'm stuck again. Does anyone know something regarding the neutral safety switch and how/ where it is located. Excuse my ignorance, but there are not "switches" or wiring running anywhere close to the clutch pedal. Is this an internal feature which you cannot see from the outside. One thing I have noticed is my wiring harness has several plugs which are not hooked into the instrument cluster and/ or the ignition switch. I am assuming these extra wires not being used are for turn signals, hazard lights, etc. (which my tractor does not have). Not certain if my tractor has a neutral safety switch or if it had been bypassed by the dealer where I purchase the tractor. If my tractor does have a neutral safety switch which is out of adjustment, could this be the cause for the tractor not turning over? If so, does anyone have advice on adjusting it? Finding a wiring diagram for this tractor has been impossible at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

/ Ford 2910 started/ ran like a champ last fall; now won't even turn over. #8  
Again, if you "jump" the start terminal of the solenoid with 12v and the starter does not click or make any attempt to rotate, you're back to a starter problem. You could have "bench tested" it in this manner before you put it back on. As for the neutral switch, it's under the shift cover, with two wires coming out of the cover somewhere ahead of the hi/lo shift lever. I doubt the switch is a factor here, since 12v applied to the start terminal won't get the starter to engage.