Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    White Field Boss 31 4x4

Default Re: hydrualic oil in engine...bad pump seals?

Quote Originally Posted by Leejohn View Post
    The oil coming out the plug of the bell housing could be engine or hyd oil. Did engine over fill with oil again? Do you think the pump got dry of oil? Check the input hose to the pump and make sure it doesn't have a pin hole or crack, clean screen, and new OEM filter. You could of blew the pump if it was sucking air for 2.5 hrs. You could of blew the rear seal from the oil getting over filled as much as it did. I would also take the pump back apart and check it, then go after the oil coming out of the bell housing drain. It sounds like you are going to have to split the tractor, 1st things 1st.
    I made sure the engine did over fill again, but I guess the rear seal could have been blown by the first time it did, it had nearly an extra gallon of oil in the case. There was a slight leak from the output side of the pump, I thought I had tightened the small bolts but I didnt want to over torque them, and then it seemed like they were not actually getting tighter after all so I was worried the thread was getting stripped. Maybe they1 are just a high torque? Well now I need to get it on a trailer or something, do you think its ok to run for 2 minutes?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660

Well it sounds like the pump is bad for sure now. I would drain the oil down to where it should be in the engine and load on the trailer. The reason I said drain the oil down is because, you don't want to get engine running on the engine oil and if it does have something ready to block the air intake.

Tractor
    White Field Boss 31 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Leejohn View Post
    Well it sounds like the pump is bad for sure now. I would drain the oil down to where it should be in the engine and load on the trailer. The reason I said drain the oil down is because, you don't want to get engine running on the engine oil and if it does have something ready to block the air intake.
    Sorry I meant to say I made sure the engine did NOT overfill again; allthe fluid levels were fine including the hyd. But it seems like it was just not circulating. I am going to take it apart where it is and check the filter and pump for heat damage...

Tractor
    White Field Boss 31 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by VTturkey View Post
    Sorry I meant to say I made sure the engine did NOT overfill again; allthe fluid levels were fine including the hyd. But it seems like it was just not circulating. I am going to take it apart where it is and check the filter and pump for heat damage...
    I took it apart again and checked the filter. The filter was filthy, tons of debris (the guy I got it from said he had changed it iv only had it less than a month) but the supply was not clogged other wise, also the pump was full of oil so it wasnt running dry. The only thing new I realized is that a small seal o ring had fallen out from the output line from the pump and that was causing the small leak I mentioned. Would a leak that small cause enough of a loss in pressure or air to heat up the pump? Also I can still turn the pump by hand but cannot dissassmble it the way I did when I first took it apart, push out the spline gear..

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

What style of pump is used on your tractor? Gear or piston. If gear does it have the pressure side loading? I.e. the blocks on the side of the gears move and have seals on them that use system pressure to help push these blocks against the sides of the gears to make the pump more efficient. If these seals are bad they can allow excessive amount of oil into the seal cavity causing the seal to fail.
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

JD 112

BX1850 gone but not forgotten

Tractor
    White Field Boss 31 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslo View Post
    What style of pump is used on your tractor? Gear or piston. If gear does it have the pressure side loading? I.e. the blocks on the side of the gears move and have seals on them that use system pressure to help push these blocks against the sides of the gears to make the pump more efficient. If these seals are bad they can allow excessive amount of oil into the seal cavity causing the seal to fail.
    It is gear but no blocks. There are bronze pieces that hold the gears, when they mesh they supposedly create a vaccum and so pull oil up. I took out the pump again and took it to a mechanic and he was able to take it apart, we looked at and so no signs of wear or torsion, except that it does have a little resistance. I put it back in but the system will not prime I.e the filter before the pump remains empty even after idling for 10 min. Maybe we put it back the wrong way but it really only fit one way. Trying to find someone to come and pick it up for me to workon it....

Gold Member

Probably not a good idea for the engine to be kept being run with a mixture of hydraulic oil and whatever other debris may have gotten in the crankcase.
    I would change engine oil and filter ASAP or you may be looking for more troubles.
    Also an overfull crankcase can sometimes cause a diesel runaway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12