Injector pump problem??

/ Injector pump problem?? #1  

Hydraman

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3020 D Huskee 20 HP x50 JD 2210, 210 FEL,54C MMM, 647 JD rototiller
I have a 1972 JD 3020 w/ approx. 5500 hrs on it. The "fuel shut off" is electric, and integral with the injector pump. Today I moved the tractor, and instead of the engine running at a constant RPM, it started running erratically, so I shut down the engine. When I attempted to restart, it wouldn't fire until I throttled it up--like there is something sticking in the governor-shutoff assembly. When it restarted, it wouldn't run smoothly under load again, either. The pump is a Stanadyne/
Hartford Div. ROOSA MASTER. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you. Don

/ Injector pump problem?? #2  
<font color="blue">( it wouldn't run smoothly under load again )</font>

Check you fuel "quality"... any debris in the tank? Filter clean and unrestricted?

90% of the problem is usually fuel related... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Injector pump problem??
Fuel is filtered BEFORE it goes into tractor and new filter on tractor recently--25-50 hrs back. Filter is also glass and no visible evedence of contamination. But thanks anyway.Don

/ Injector pump problem?? #4  
I had a Detroit Diesel have the same symptoms once and it turned out to be a spot of rust on the throttle rail. I don't know if that could be you're problem or not but smooth operation of the fuel delivery system is essential on all diesel engines.

/ Injector pump problem?? #5  
My father in law has a 410 Deere hoe and same basic pump and motor.
He had some trouble and a valve in top of pump was bad, dealer told us about a work-around to finish job then had a local shop rebuild pump.
After it was rebuilt we could push in one gear higher than before (more power).
The owner of the shop usually sets everything to the high side of the specs because no one complains about toooo much power.
It's been 10 years since so I don't remember price but it wasn't bad.
Only problem is they make a special tool to compress the seals when u put the pump back on, I bought one to keep on hand for future repairs(only $10 or so).

/ Injector pump problem?? #6  
Sounds like head pressure inside the inj. pump and they wont run that way, there is a simple but messy test for this, on top of the pump there should be a single fitting coming out of the pump with a line attached going up to the return line on the injectors, take the line loose at the fitting then take the fitting out of the pump (this is where it gets messy LOL) then start the tractor, if this is the problem it should run perfectly although you will have fuel spilling out of the injection pump, if that fixed the problem look inside the fitting you took out and you will see a check ball that is stuck, it is make of glass but is quite tough to bust out so you can put the fitting back in and go back to tractorin', or your dealer should be able to supply a new fitting with the ball that is not stuck.

Will check this out later today--at least this is something I can do here myself-- messy isn't a problem--- that's what pressure washers are for!!!!!!!!!Thanks, and I will let you know what the results are. Don

/ Injector pump problem?? #8  
Water in your fuel or dirt will do the same thing. Doesn't matter if you just changed your filter. It doesn't take much to cause a problem and clog a filter or have bad fuel. I'd always think horses first when I see hoofprints and not zebras.

Yup---pulled the afore mentioned ball check out and- - - - - - -
eeeegads---- found some rubbery looking bits and pieces in it. So, went a little further and took the cover off and found the remains of what appeared to be a neoprene disk of some sort and having no idea where it might have come from-- the pump probably goes to the fixit shop. Thanks for the input. Don

/ Injector pump problem?? #10  
Duh....What am I missing here? Why not just look and see if the checkball is stuck in the fitting first and not have to run with it all apart and spilling fuel all over the place? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif