JD 820 - Pinhole leak in Fuel Tank

/ JD 820 - Pinhole leak in Fuel Tank #1  

lacamo

Bronze Member
JD 820 3 - Cylinder Diesel. I have a pinhole leak on the bottom of the fuel tank, near the petcock. Can anyone recommend a product to use to repair this? I keep coming across JB WaterWeld, but the reviews are mixed. Thanks!

/ JD 820 - Pinhole leak in Fuel Tank #2  
I don't know if this will work on a diesel tank, but it worked on a gas tank that had the same problem. I just used the two part epoxy that they sell in every hardware store. I drained the tank and got the outside of the tank as dry and as clean as I could. (Hand wire brush it, don't use grinder--sparks!) Then I took the epoxy and mixed it up. Spread some on some cotton cloth until it was well soaked. Pushed it on the hole and held it there for as long as my arms would hold out and left it alone. Waited 24 hours or so, filled it up and it held for several years. I didn't even take the tank off the car, just did it by crawling under.

/ JD 820 - Pinhole leak in Fuel Tank #3  
There was a time when it would have been fixed by putting a screw with rubber washer in the hole.:)

/ JD 820 - Pinhole leak in Fuel Tank #4  
Years ago, leaks in bottoms of gas tanks in old cars was common. We used ' Seal All ', which came in a tube and did the trick.. Don't know if it will work with diesel, but gas was no problem... You could also mount the tank upside down, so that leak would be at the top... :)

/ JD 820 - Pinhole leak in Fuel Tank
I noticed a small leak a few days ago and thought maybe the connection to the fuel line was loose. Went to tighten it (very gently) and the weld holding the connector/petcock broke off. Luckily I had a 5 gallon bucket within reach. Brought it to a local welder who reattached the connector. My guess is that there was a very small crack or hole nearby that expanded when heated during the welding. Just my guess. At least from the outside, the tank seems in good shape. Once it's drained, I will try and see inside.

So I'd have to take down the ROPS to flip it over whenever I needed to add more fuel?

/ JD 820 - Pinhole leak in Fuel Tank #8  
Haven't heard of Waterweld but the original JB Weld has always worked for me. For best results you would have to invert the tank. The screw and washer method works well for small pinholes also, as mentioned. Sheetmetal roofing screw w/neoprene washer?
Dennis

JD 820 3 - Cylinder Diesel. I have a pinhole leak on the bottom of the fuel tank, near the petcock. Can anyone recommend a product to use to repair this? I keep coming across JB WaterWeld, but the reviews are mixed. Thanks!

/ JD 820 - Pinhole leak in Fuel Tank #9  
So I'd have to take down the ROPS to flip it over whenever I needed to add more fuel?

I wasn't curing all your problems, just suggesting that so you would not have to worry about that there pinhole... [ :) ]

Yesterday, I got an epoxy-based fuel tank repair kit and applied it. Bad news: while sanding, it became clear that there is corrosion on the bottom of the tank as a couple of other pin holes appeared. I went ahead and covered as large an area as I could. This morning I put a gallon of fuel in and suspended the tank over a bucket and so far the leak has been sealed. But it's only a matter of time before I'll have to replace the tank. I have seen metal and plastic replacements -- any idea which would be better? Thanks for all the responses!