Mitsubishi 240 D engine seized?

/ Mitsubishi 240 D engine seized? #1  

pnbooth

Tractor
mitsubishi 240D
Hi all. Starter tests fine, as well as battery and connections. Starter engages hard, but engine does not turn. Had the tractor running just two months ago. Can something be seized? Thanks!

/ Mitsubishi 240 D engine seized? #2  
Welcome to TBN

Have you tried turning the engine over by hand? Either with a socket on the front pulley bolt, or by removing the starter and using a large screwdriver or flat prybar to turn the engine?

/ Mitsubishi 240 D engine seized?
Thanks Don 87. I found the problem. The engine was seized due to water entering the cylinders from the exhaust and sitting for two months. I removed the exhaust manifold, towed the tractor with my truck and popped the clutch a couple times to free the engine. After cranking the engine to get rid of all the water and flush with diesel, I reinstalled the exhaust, and voila, she started right up. After warming the engine thoroughly, I changed the oil and filter but could detect no water in the oil. Had I left the tractor sitting for another month, I think I would have had to junk the engine. I thought the shelter I had it under was weather proof. No a bucket will ALWAYS be sitting upside down on the exhaust when not in use. Now I've got to get back to work dragging logs out of my woods.

/ Mitsubishi 240 D engine seized? #4  
Glad to hear you got it running again. And yes, the bucket/coffee can trick will do wonders to keep water out.

/ Mitsubishi 240 D engine seized? #5  
Well dang, I got in on this late, I hope pnbooth checks back in. I have owned a number of Mitsubishis and see he has said several times his machine is a 240D and I have never seen/heard of one. Wanted to know if this was a mistype or was really what he has. Could have obviously meant a MT250 or MT24? Have seen many Yanmar, Iseki and even MF 240's.....not a big deal but if it's a Mitsubishi my curiosity is REALLY piquedand would love to see some pics and what engine it has!

/ Mitsubishi 240 D engine seized? #6  
Thanks Don 87. I found the problem. The engine was seized due to water entering the cylinders from the exhaust and sitting for two months. I removed the exhaust manifold, towed the tractor with my truck and popped the clutch a couple times to free the engine. After cranking the engine to get rid of all the water and flush with diesel, I reinstalled the exhaust, and voila, she started right up. After warming the engine thoroughly, I changed the oil and filter but could detect no water in the oil. Had I left the tractor sitting for another month, I think I would have had to junk the engine. I thought the shelter I had it under was weather proof. No a bucket will ALWAYS be sitting upside down on the exhaust when not in use. Now I've got to get back to work dragging logs out of my woods.

That is the absolute worst thing you could have done. Water will not compress like air. So doing what you did could possibly bend a connecting rod,blow a head gasket , brake the rings or cracked the block. These are the worst case scenarios. These are things I have seen happen. What you should have done was remove the glow plugs or injectors and turn over by hand. This would have pushed the water out with out doing any harm.Hopefully you got away with it this time, but remember this in the future.
Bill

Thanks Don 87. Looks like I got lucky. It seems to be running fine. What you say makes perfect sense and what I did was really dumb now that I understand what was keeping the engine from turning over. Hopefully, others will read this post and heed your sage advice. Thanks for taking the time to educate a tractor newbie. Hopefully I can repay the favor to someone on this forum. Thanks again!

Darryl. My bad, It is a 2300FD. tractor 2.JPGtractor1.JPG