Tractor
    mitsubishi 240D

Default Mitsubishi 240 D engine seized?

Hi all. Starter tests fine, as well as battery and connections. Starter engages hard, but engine does not turn. Had the tractor running just two months ago. Can something be seized? Thanks!

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: Mitsubishi 240 D engine seized?

Welcome to TBN

Have you tried turning the engine over by hand? Either with a socket on the front pulley bolt, or by removing the starter and using a large screwdriver or flat prybar to turn the engine?
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    mitsubishi 240D

Thanks Don 87. I found the problem. The engine was seized due to water entering the cylinders from the exhaust and sitting for two months. I removed the exhaust manifold, towed the tractor with my truck and popped the clutch a couple times to free the engine. After cranking the engine to get rid of all the water and flush with diesel, I reinstalled the exhaust, and voila, she started right up. After warming the engine thoroughly, I changed the oil and filter but could detect no water in the oil. Had I left the tractor sitting for another month, I think I would have had to junk the engine. I thought the shelter I had it under was weather proof. No a bucket will ALWAYS be sitting upside down on the exhaust when not in use. Now I've got to get back to work dragging logs out of my woods.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Glad to hear you got it running again. And yes, the bucket/coffee can trick will do wonders to keep water out.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Backhoe

Well dang, I got in on this late, I hope pnbooth checks back in. I have owned a number of Mitsubishis and see he has said several times his machine is a 240D and I have never seen/heard of one. Wanted to know if this was a mistype or was really what he has. Could have obviously meant a MT250 or MT24? Have seen many Yanmar, Iseki and even MF 240's.....not a big deal but if it's a Mitsubishi my curiosity is REALLY piquedand would love to see some pics and what engine it has!
    Darryl

Tractor
    Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E

Quote Originally Posted by pnbooth View Post
    Thanks Don 87. I found the problem. The engine was seized due to water entering the cylinders from the exhaust and sitting for two months. I removed the exhaust manifold, towed the tractor with my truck and popped the clutch a couple times to free the engine. After cranking the engine to get rid of all the water and flush with diesel, I reinstalled the exhaust, and voila, she started right up. After warming the engine thoroughly, I changed the oil and filter but could detect no water in the oil. Had I left the tractor sitting for another month, I think I would have had to junk the engine. I thought the shelter I had it under was weather proof. No a bucket will ALWAYS be sitting upside down on the exhaust when not in use. Now I've got to get back to work dragging logs out of my woods.
    That is the absolute worst thing you could have done. Water will not compress like air. So doing what you did could possibly bend a connecting rod,blow a head gasket , brake the rings or cracked the block. These are the worst case scenarios. These are things I have seen happen. What you should have done was remove the glow plugs or injectors and turn over by hand. This would have pushed the water out with out doing any harm.Hopefully you got away with it this time, but remember this in the future.
    Bill

Tractor
    mitsubishi 240D

Thanks Don 87. Looks like I got lucky. It seems to be running fine. What you say makes perfect sense and what I did was really dumb now that I understand what was keeping the engine from turning over. Hopefully, others will read this post and heed your sage advice. Thanks for taking the time to educate a tractor newbie. Hopefully I can repay the favor to someone on this forum. Thanks again!

Tractor
    mitsubishi 240D

Darryl. My bad, It is a 2300FD.-tractor-2-jpg-tractor1-jpg