John Deere 650 rear wheel won't spin

/ John Deere 650 rear wheel won't spin #1  

TractorJunkie

I have a John Deere 650 and the back drivers wheel is locked up. I understand from the previous owner that this happens once in a while after the tractor has been sitting and you just need to rock it back and forth and work it free. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about getting this wheel spinning again as I have not had any luck getting it spinning. It seems like if I could stop the passenger side from spinning it would put more power to the drivers side and it would help work it free.

Regards,

Bill

/ John Deere 650 rear wheel won't spin #2  
Locking up is probably the brake shoes. I'd suggest to remove the cover(parts key #15) and see what's happening.

Attachments

• MP9150_________UN02JAN94.gif
    MP9150_________UN02JAN94.gif
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,302
   / John Deere 650 rear wheel won't spin
Thanks Jim, how difficult of a job do you think this would be, I have done a brake replacement on a car and am fairly handy but not much on a Tractor and am concerned with these being hydraulic brakes it may be a bit over my head.

Also do all the seals need to be replaced when you reassemble or is it possible to use the ones that came off?

Thanks again!

/ John Deere 650 rear wheel won't spin #4  
Does it have independent brake peddles ?

If so, have you tried jabbing the side that does spin while spinning ?

(Hopefully your doing this in low slow gear.)

Well aside from making me feel silly, that worked like a charm! Thanks so much!

I think Jim has a point seems like the brakes are still dragging I should probably take it in but at least I can get it on the trailer now.

/ John Deere 650 rear wheel won't spin #6  
Do you park with the brakes locked down ?

I don't its parked in the garage so its flat I just leave it in gear.

/ John Deere 650 rear wheel won't spin #8  
concerned with these being hydraulic brakes it may be a bit over my head.

I don't think they are, I believe they're totally mechanical and dry.

I've got the 790 and I think it's almost identical. To which I also have the tech manual in PDF form. I'll see if it has any pics.

/ John Deere 650 rear wheel won't spin #9  
Way back when I first got my 790 I questioned about a 1/4" threaded hole beneath my brake drum area and was told it used to be plugged on earlier models and was now left open to help reduce moisture build up and rust brake drums.

The picture I took back then is missing but here's the thread. I could grab another pic for ya.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/84360-790-hole.html

I'm curious what's under yours.