Which is best for diesel tractor engines - wet liner vs. dry liner vs. non linered

/ Which is best for diesel tractor engines - wet liner vs. dry liner vs. non linered #11  
I'm not promoting JD but this their coolant and I know how to look the info up.. Their coolant conditioner is this: TY16004 ENGINE COOLANT CONDITIONER ADD 4.85 USD

Service life of 6 years / 6,000 hours
Fully formulated for heavy-duty cooling systems
Reduces downtime and lowers operating costs
Protects against corrosion and cavitation
Thermally stable
Mix on-site
Contains bittering agent
Recommended for heavy- and light-duty diesel, natural gas, and gasoline engines

That is what we run in our machinery gas and diesel (we run the premixed cool guard). It seems expensive until you look at the 6/6000 years vs 2 years. It's also peace of mind, to me it doesn't matter if the MFG calls for cavitation additive or not, what will it hurt being there vs what it can prevent?

I'm sure others may be just as good. The Deere dealer is close and we have 2 Deere tractors, one of which we bought and it had it in it already.

/ Which is best for diesel tractor engines - wet liner vs. dry liner vs. non linered #12  
My Cat powered 18 wheeler was just overhauled at 1,231,653 miles, I believe all big diesels are wet liner engines. I use cat ELC coolant ( extended life coolant ) good for 600,000 miles.it,s in my 04 Dodge and will be in the little LS tractor when the time comes.the cat ELC may be a little more expensive but Cat recommends it for my little cat 14 hp generator to their 20 cylinder powerplants, so its good enough for me !

/ Which is best for diesel tractor engines - wet liner vs. dry liner vs. non linered
Thanks everyone for the info, you got me thinking about the best approach to protect the tractors, and with that being said, I believe the old Ford 3000 will be fine with the higher line extended life antifreeze and the distilled water it was mixed with.

From what I have gathered information wise- in addition to your comments, that a parent metal non linered diesel such as the 3000 should be OK with the extended life Prestone that's in it, because I am hoping to tear it down and rebuild in 2-3 years...at that time I should be able to look into the open water ports and see if and how much pitting it has , my guess is that Ford probably cast those cylinder walls pretty thick, so that they can be bored to at least .040 over even with some core shift figured in.. I guess the only way to be sure is to have the block sonic tested , but not sure if that even shows pitting? just core shift..

Now for the dry linered Rhino, depending on the price of the JD additive, verses the price of a diesel heavy duty coolant I will decide whether to drain/ flush and refill or just add the SCA, This is almost funny in the sense of what they put in the manual -fill with water, If you think it might freeze, drain it and refill with water before re-starting, and if running hot in summer remove the thermostat....:laughing: Antifreeze - what's that??
Sounds like the dry linered diesels maybe more concentrated in the Chinese tractor engine market ?? anyone Know of dry linered US designed diesel engines and if so how has it (they) worked out so far?

/ Which is best for diesel tractor engines - wet liner vs. dry liner vs. non linered #14  
My dry liner and parent bore engines have no history of cavitation (per goggle search anyway). My wet liner engines do and have needed new liners. I use Fleetguard across the board just to standardize and be safe.

/ Which is best for diesel tractor engines - wet liner vs. dry liner vs. non linered #15  
Anyone have a coolant conditioner they like for the antifreeze, last time I changed antifreeze I just bought the Prestone (safe for all metals) type...

ART it sounds like you see no real problem with the dry sleeve method, and it also sounds as if the crankshaft must be removed to renew a sleeve?? I ask because , I may eventually have to replace one on the Rhino tractor..
Thanks for the information :)

Every design is that way for a reason be it the best that they had at the time or because the metals used and the desired results for longevity. Normally to get a sleeve puller into the cylinders for removal as well installing.

/ Which is best for diesel tractor engines - wet liner vs. dry liner vs. non linered #16  
My dry liner and parent bore engines have no history of cavitation (per goggle search anyway). My wet liner engines do and have needed new liners. I use Fleetguard across the board just to standardize and be safe.

What make & model are you referring to with no history of cavitation?

/ Which is best for diesel tractor engines - wet liner vs. dry liner vs. non linered #17  
Not a problem and the engine will outlive most of us here being either wet sleeve or investment block IF..............If the owner operator would read and follow the operator's manual and use quality antifreeze. No tap water either.

/ Which is best for diesel tractor engines - wet liner vs. dry liner vs. non linered
Not a problem and the engine will outlive most of us here being either wet sleeve or investment block IF..............If the owner operator would read and follow the operator's manual and use quality antifreeze. No tap water either.

Well if I followed the owners manual for the Rhino tractor, I would have filled it with (water) and broken the engine in.
Drained the water from the cooling system, refilled it with water, ( any clean water), and if I lived in a warm climate the original water full of rust would have still been in it until the 1000 hours@1500rpm- service when you (clean) the cooling system... And I would have followed the owners manual exactly, and honored the owners responsibility.

This manual is written in English not Chinglish... but nobody is going to follow a manual with these recommendations...at least I would hope not... but when dealing with some operator manuals such as the Rhino best to ignore the cooling system fluid recommendations and learn what the best option is and implement it...