Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd Kubota M105 shuttle

Default Re: Oil Pan Drain Plug

If you did get it out, did you weld a SAE nut on it like I suggested, or what??

Tractor
    Bolens G152

I have not got the plug out yet. I tried using a pipe wrench Friday but had not luck with that, it kept slipping off. I am thinking I might have to get someone to weld a nut on the end of the plug so that I will have something that I get get a bite on. I will keep everyone posted.

Tractor
    99 JD4200 4WD Collarshift

I've always been able to get a nut off with a chisel and hammer. You'll tear it up, but with proper technique, it comes loose. You start by working a gouge into it. Then start angling chisel till you're knocking nut counterclockwise. Sometimes a gouge on opposite sides works better. Must have a sharp chisel.

Option 2: Grind two flats on nut and use a wrench.

Option 3: Take your 38 and shoot a hole in pan near bottom, This will let all oil out and you can leave drain plug alone.

Tractor
    NH TC-33D

<font color="blue"> Option 3: Take your 38 and shoot a hole in pan near bottom, This will let all oil out and you can leave drain plug alone. </font>

I had a friend do that to his boat, not sure it was intentional but it sure let the oil out and in a hurry. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Didn't do much for the engine though, as it was running at the time. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110 HST

I was going to mention the chisel way myself, but haveing seen what some people do with a chisel, I was afraid to. But it works better than most ways, if you take your time and be carful. It will work when all else fails.

Tractor
    JD 4610 ehydro MFWD

Inspector is right. Try the bolt/nut remover from Sears/Craftsman. This is exactly what this tool is made for. You can get a whole set for around 20 bucks. These are sockets with special grooves cut inside to grab the rounded bolt/nut. Craftsman Bolt-Out&amp;#8482; Damaged Bolt/Nut Remover Set

Another technique that might work is to lock a set of vice-grips around the plug, then take an air-chisel with a flat-end bit on it and vibrate the end of the plug while turning. I've broken loose many a frozen bolt or nut while vibrating it with an air chisel.

Elite Member

If you have a "Dremel tool" with a reinforced cut-off wheel, or even a hand drill, (those cutoff wheels and mandril are $5-$6).
    Cut flat sides on 2 sides of the head and try the pipewrench again. It's gotta work. Last resort, drill out the center of the plug and drive an "Easy out" into the hole...Last, last resort, drill out the whole plug except the threads and rip them out with a chisel. Auto parts stores have generic oil plugs with expandable seals.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH 2444

My last resort would be to take the oil pan off and take it to a machine shop or something like that and let them get it out. It will just cost 1 oil pan gasket + the new plug. whatever the machine shop charges.

Billy,
    Only $20+shipping, its been a week or more, they could have been at his doorstep already and had the plug out and thrown across the yard. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Jerry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast