Oil Pan Drain Plug

/ Oil Pan Drain Plug #1  

DavidS

Tractor
Bolens G152
OK, Friday evening I was going to change the oil in my tractor. This is only the second time that I have had to change it since I have owned it. Obviously who ever owned it before me did not have the right tools to work with because the head of the oil pan drain plug had been rounded off, like someone had use a standard size wrench when it actually needed a metric wrench. So here is my problem. As I started to loosen the drain plug I could not get any size wrench to fit it, so what happened is the head is now really rounded off and I can not get anything to turn it. I even resorted to the dreaded vice grips in hopes to just get the dang thing out and replace it. So no I am stuck with a drain plug i can not get out!!! I need home help in figuring out how to get the drain plug out. I have used ease outs before, but i am not sure if this will work here. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Oil Pan Drain Plug #2  
Get a 6 point metric socket of the right size. That should take care of your problem, unless it has really been chewed up to where the flats are completely gone.

/ Oil Pan Drain Plug #3  
I would think a pipe wrench like a plumber uses would do it. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
I've taken a 4-4 1/2 inch angle grinder and "resized" and flattened 2 opposing sides on the hex so a wrench will grab hold. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Oil Pan Drain Plug #4  
I went through this crap the first time I tried changing the oil on my (1991) Deere 670.

The plug wasn't rounded, but was impossible to turn with the correct socket on a 24" breaker bar. I even bought a 6 point socket (less likely to "round" the corners using a six point socket).

Well, I ended up sending the tractor to the dealer's. I reckon the last time the oil was changed, the plug had been installed with an air wrench rather then torqued to the proper specs.

I made sure the plug was torqued by hand this time.

As much as it may be a drag, you may have no option but to send your machine to the dealer. Once is OK...but shame on us if we have to do it a second time!

/ Oil Pan Drain Plug #5  
What happens when you try to remove it with a vicegrip? The tool can only slip, (get a pipewrench), or you need a pipe extension on the vicegrip. Remember, (righty tighty, lefty loosey) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, and I have seen guys get confused when the bolt head is facing away from them.

/ Oil Pan Drain Plug
I think pipe wrench may be the fix i need. Don't know why I did not think of that!!

/ Oil Pan Drain Plug #7  
Try a bolt/nut remover from Sears/Craftsman. Go to Craftsman.com and search on nut remover. Attached is a pic.

Attachments

• 303192-00952161000-dlv.jpg
    303192-00952161000-dlv.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 422
   / Oil Pan Drain Plug #8  
We all need a nudge now and then /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Oil Pan Drain Plug #9  
Before you try any method make sure you have the replacement plug bought! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Oil Pan Drain Plug
kind of hard for me to buy the replacement plug first when i don't know the size.