Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Default The best way to fix this (censored) slow leak

My JD has original front tires, turf tread on a 14 inch rim...and although the tread is fine on both, one of them has a slow leak in the tread right inside the outer tread edge...the tire has not been punctured but is leaking because of a thin spot in the carcass, I have put two plugs in the area but it still leaks about 1 -2 psi per hour. I have never used any type of tire sealant but am considering using it to stop the leak rather than take it to a shop for dismounting and a patch on the inside. The label on Slime brand sealant says the sealant remains liquid and I would try using it, but what if it doesn't stop the leak, would the stuff cause any complications? Thanks for any input and advice.

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

Default Re: The best way to fix this (censored) slow leak

The slime is supposed to be changed after a year, I think it says on the label. It can also lead to corrosion of the rims.

There is aan aircraft product, that doesn't have the water component, so should not lead to corrosion.

You can get more information at Home

I just put retread aircraft tires on the front of my JD 1050. With 26 plies on these babies, I should be laughing at the mesquite thorns now!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Tractor
    SC2450 Cub Cadet/Yanmar

Put a tube in it.
    Cub Cadet/Yanmar TLB Sc2450, Ratchet Rake, Front Snowblower, Back Blade, Spreader, Middlebuster.
    Craftsman GT5000
    Wheelhorse GT-14

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Farmall H, TC40DA, Farmall 200 F spreader, Dolmar saws, lots of junk

I agree, put a tube in it. If it is leaking through the sidewall, it will just start somewhere else, if you fix this one. I never found the tire sealer goop to work well on a slow moving vehicle. By the way, if both front tires are the same age, put a tube in the other one, too.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

I have used the Berryman's with good results on thorn punctures in tires. But I am also of the opinion that a tube might be the easiest and most permanent fix.

Berryman® Seal-R® Tire Sealing Compound | Berryman Products
    James KŲUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

I had a tube put in one of mine last summer. It didn't last a day, before leaking again. While I am not opposed to tubes in some instances, with the use my rig gets, they are not worth the money spent on them.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Quote Originally Posted by msb1766 View Post
    Put a tube in it.
    I appreciate the advice about using a tube but I mentioned in the original post that I don't want to go thru the headache of dismounting the tire or having a shop do it. There are a huge number of things around my property that will puncture tires and tubes, thorn bushes, old nails long since buried, etc. Both front tires have been plugged at least half a dozen times each and to add a tube to either would just create a lot more work the next time I get a puncture. What I want is a GOOD quality tire sealant that will last and not cause any corrosion.

Tractor
    Kubota L35, Kubota B6200E

Can't help on any particular sealant to use, but I have been astounded on the abuse that a foam filled tire can take. I have seen tires where the lugs have been ripped clean off and the operator continues on full guns.

If you have lots of tread left, you might consider.

I think that when I replace my tractors tires; I am very tempted to go down that road.

Just some food for thought.

Tractor
    Ford 1710, 1600 Kubota L3710, G6200, Simplicity, Allis Chalmers, Montgomery Wards garden tractors

I have had real good luck with linseed oil. It can be found in hardware stores, in metal containers. Take the air out of the tire, pour in the linseed oil, shake it well, then air it up.