1991 Cub Cadet 1720 PTO problem

/ 1991 Cub Cadet 1720 PTO problem #1  

pochie

I've owned this mower since new. I always engaged the PTO at low engine speed and then ran to full power.
Yesterday it would not engage as usual. When I increased the engine speed to full power it did engage. Any information on what I should check or what is wearing out or needs replaced? Should I just engage at full power and then it will eventually break and I'll get it repaired or find out the problem and get it fixed now. Thank you.

/ 1991 Cub Cadet 1720 PTO problem #2  
On some mower the electric clutch is adjustable. the adjustable ones have three bolts with springs above them. If you have this type there should be a slot next to the bolt. slide a feeler gauge into the slot between the two plates and adjust the spacing to .012, and see what happens.

/ 1991 Cub Cadet 1720 PTO problem
On some mower the electric clutch is adjustable. the adjustable ones have three bolts with springs above them. If you have this type there should be a slot next to the bolt. slide a feeler gauge into the slot between the two plates and adjust the spacing to .012, and see what happens.

Hi Randy,
thanks for your reply. My mower just has a toggle switch on the dash with a nut holding it tight. I would have to take the gas tank out to see if it is like that on the inside, which I can do. It is too narrow to do even see well without removing the tank. Mike

/ 1991 Cub Cadet 1720 PTO problem #4  
I am not refering to the switch to turn it on or off. the clutch is located on the engine crankshaft, should be on the front of the tractor if a side shaft engine, or on the bottom if a vertical shaft engine.

/ 1991 Cub Cadet 1720 PTO problem #5  
Sit down on the seat, DO NOT START THE ENGINE and turn the switch to the run position. Activate the PTO switch to the on position. Did you hear a loud click? If so the PTO clutch is being energized. Check the PTO to mower deck belt, is it tight? Could belt slippage be what is causing the delayed start of the mowing deck? When was the last time the belt was replaced? Look underneath and insure the belt is in the groove on all pulleys. In a worst case, a new PTO assembly will be in the neighborhood of $350.00.

/ 1991 Cub Cadet 1720 PTO problem
Hi Randy and Gator,
I was out today checking the oil and then started her up. The PTO worked as it used to, engaging at low idle. ! I tried it 3x and it worked. I'll see what happens the next time I mow. Maybe when it gets hot the gauge setting on the clutch becomes too large? Anyway, I'll see how she does and then try both of your suggestions.
Thank you very much for your prompt reply and information. Have a good week. Pochie