Air cooled diesel for automotive conversion

/ Air cooled diesel for automotive conversion #1  

NWSamaritan

Tractor
NONE
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I remember a rancher friend having, as I remember, a 4 cylinder opposed diesel engine of about 80 HP in a piece of farm equipment. I think he said it was a "Buda", and I don't find such an engine by them online. I have long thought this would be pretty good for a project I am considering, probably in a Suzuki Samurai or Sidekick.

If you have experience with such engines in any application, please let me know.

Thanks,

NWSamaritan.

Last edited:
   / Air cooled diesel for automotive conversion #2  
Buda Mfg, Co started building diesel engines around 1926. They were aquired by Allis Chalmers in 1953. Some of the early designs used a system of two injectors per cylinder, with an injector on each side of the head. All of the Buda engines I've seen were conventional inline four and six cylinder units, and to my knowledge none were air cooled.

/ Air cooled diesel for automotive conversion #3  
Welcome to TractorByNet.

/ Air cooled diesel for automotive conversion #4  
Buda Mfg, Co started building diesel engines around 1926. They were aquired by Allis Chalmers in 1953. Some of the early designs used a system of two injectors per cylinder, with an injector on each side of the head. All of the Buda engines I've seen were conventional inline four and six cylinder units, and to my knowledge none were air cooled.

The military used Buda engines on several types of generators. usually in to 30/40 k.w. sizes. All water cooled.
Good engines and would run 24 hours daily cannot remember the brand of the generators.
this was in years of 54 to 57 Army.
ken

/ Air cooled diesel for automotive conversion #5  
there is already a kit to swap in a VW diesel ( 1.5 , 1.6 , 1.9 ) into these.

/ Air cooled diesel for automotive conversion #6  
Welcome from Ohio :welcome:

/ Air cooled diesel for automotive conversion #7  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the Parts & Repairs forum. :)

/ Air cooled diesel for automotive conversion #8  
Subaru apparently has a 4 cylinder "boxer" diesel, although I don't think in the USA. Water cooled though.