1990 furukawa CD5B Dozer Tractor Will not steer left.

/ 1990 furukawa CD5B Dozer Tractor Will not steer left.
Folks, I started unbolting the clutch pack, I have ran into a problem trying to remove the brake band. The brake band loops around the clutch pack/drives and is retained by a bolt with a long nut which seem to be for adjustment and to hold the brake band in place. I removed the nut but I cannot see how the bands are to be released. Can anyone say if the clutch pack and the brake ban should come out as a unit. or the next steps after unbolting the clutch pack on both sides..

Thanks

John

/ 1990 furukawa CD5B Dozer Tractor Will not steer left. #12  
I would think it would come out as a unit. Guessing on one end of the band, there should be an anchor pin, and the other end, should connect to what ever activates it.

Hard to tell how big around that clutch assy. is, but if you had like a 30-36" X 2" wide nylon sling, with loops on the ends to go around it, then make a choker, slipping one end loop of the sling through the loop on the other end. With a straight down shot, can't see if there are any bolt holes to bolt some lift tabs in to. It may want to bind, if you don't get right on the balance point. And it may very well flop right out of a sling, once it gets free of the mating surfaces.

If you could just lift it up just enough, with bolt holes on each end, right at the top, to get a couple lift tabs bolted to it, it couldn't flop off balance and get away from you, and should pretty well have control of it.

I searched all weekend for a manual, still no luck. Anyone can say which small dozer may be close to the CD5B. Going on a hunt for some ratchet wrenches this morning and a good chain hoist. Not giving up, even if I have to put the packs on a pallet and ship it to the US for a rebuild. Thanks for the help so far. Maybe I will have my video savvy son do a video clip of the repair..

CT5 Parts Diagrams (6).jpg Folks, I found a diagram of the steering clutch for the CD5B, posted by a gent from OZ. and a possible source for friction disk from a manufacture. What I need is the specification for the various components of the clutch pack. Can someone with a manual for the CD5B post a copy of the specs. or shoot me an email at: aquazulu2@yahoo.com. If I find a source I will be back to share.. The problem I saw on the left clutch was a loose item 03 in the diagram, and the thing I was calling the yoke item 013 (bolt) screws into it.
My major fault is burnt clutches on the right clutch pack, possibly cause by being fouled by silt. Lesson learned?. When you don't know you must learn to lessen when someone with experience speaks..

/ 1990 furukawa CD5B Dozer Tractor Will not steer left. #15  
Can't help much but feel for you trying w/o a manual. Have you seen this thread on HeavyEquip Forum ?
Says Hitachi is a posible parts source

Furukawa CD5

Good luck

First entry should read: (Only Left track is Engaging).

clutch mate.JPGHello again folks: I have been working trying to get the dozer to higher ground. Got her elevated where there is no threat of flooding the engine. I Also removed all the bolts from both sides of the clutch pack, pulled out the shaft that retains the steering band. (Zerk fitting on end of shaft) Slides out after backing out a retain screw. have a double sling made up of air-force straps around the clutch pack, but it refuse to break free.

The force I have applied on those straps should be able to lift 300 lbs but not one mm movement. The PB blaster don't even seem to have space to penetrate between the flanges. Is this unit usually rusted in place tight, any points on prying it loose. or how much force I could expect to have to apply to break it loose. I finally got a parts manual and a part list on order. I Plan to change out both clutch packs disks and bearings if I can get the buggers out. Thanks for any help.

Note: Borrowed a picture from someone working on a cat showing a gear ring on the side of the flange I assume was flat on the CD5B
could the clutches be engaging this ring, Do I have to tilt the yoke somehow to drive in the clutches..?

Last edited:
   / 1990 furukawa CD5B Dozer Tractor Will not steer left. #18  
I've been clicking back and forth on the exploded view, and the actual pictures... To me, in the actual picture, on the small flange end, it looks like a locking retainer on some sort of nut, that takes some sort of spanner wrench to loosen. In the exploded view, it appears the nut may be part # 8, but it is a bit fuzzy.

And the small flange end seems to be a stub shaft. Is it possible that the turning the nut pulls that small flange end away from it's mating surface, allowing enough room to pull it out..??

Maybe leave a couple bolts in the small flanged end, maybe both ends.., just enough to hold it from turning, and hold it in place, but allow the flange to come inward, if turning that larger center nut. Now, finding something to fit that nut is going to be fun..!!

I've seen similar wrenches to tighten packing nuts in hyd. cylinders. In fact, our mechanic/welder years ago cut one out of a 1/2" piece of plate steel. He literally drew it out on the concrete shop floor, then made it... If worse came to worse... I reckon' a pipe wrench would work..... :p

That must be the process. I have a better picture in the parts book, #8 is a threaded nut. I believe I can do a cardboard mock-up of the tool for the machine shop, with a couple of pictures of the nut.. Had one made up earlier for my skid steer loader when I had to change the cylinder seals. Bolts to stop the fange from turning Sound like you did this before a couple of times.. Thanks for taking time to look and respond.

Been raining here in Cayman for the last couple days, the water is just at the bottom of the tracks, she looks like she is floating on the top of the water. I Have a wooden plank running from a retaining wall to her track. Plan to get back to work as soon as the rain lets up.. Anyone have an old set of CD5 steering clutches laying around that I can use as a sample?.. Or specifications.