1990 furukawa CD5B Dozer Tractor Will not steer left.

/ 1990 furukawa CD5B Dozer Tractor Will not steer left. #1  

bird watcher

Tractor
440B Bobcat skid loader
Hello Folks, :newhere:
I am asking for help with a problem with my Furukawa Dozer. It is a standard shift with a foot clutch for the drive gears, and old fashion pull and lock-up the track stick controls.

1st. Problem: When the lefty handle is pulled back to allow the tractor to pivot left it will not turn. With blade placed against a pile of dirt, only the right track seems to be engaging. When allowed to move without pulling either stick, tractor will eventual circle to the right. Can some one please explain what may be wrong. Trasctor pivots right when right stick is pulled back.

2nd Problem: The hydraulic oil is milkshake white. How do you flush the hydraulic system?.. Could the contaminated fluid be a cause to the steering problem.

I have been reading up on as many posts as I could find an answer to the steering problem, but most of the post seem to be geared to operators with basic understanding of their hydraulic systems.. I am a novice without a manual, and looking for some help.. Note: The CD5B will not even get a response from a search engine, for I have been looking hard for a manual...

/ 1990 furukawa CD5B Dozer Tractor Will not steer left.
I believe I am in trouble!. Furukawa CD5B Dozer repair manual, nowhere to be found, and not one reply from the forum. Think i purchase a disposable.
Plan to do a logic search in the morning to find the hydraulic purge port and purge the contaminated fluid, change filter and fill with new hydraulic fluid. A schematic of the pistons would be a plus. But a logic trace of the functions should lead me to the required fix. Believe I found a source for parts.. Right now she is setting in the high end of a catchment basin I use to control flooding, need to get her out of there before the rain comes..

/ 1990 furukawa CD5B Dozer Tractor Will not steer left. #3  
Sounds like a definite problem with your left steering clutch/brake. The clutch/brake mechanisms should be on the end of a cross shaft that makes both sides drive, when the handles are released, pull part way back, and releases the steering clutch for a gentle turn, on back to brake the turn.

Unless you were going downhill, I'm thinking if the right side is driving, it should eventually circle left. But, if you pull the right handle, and it does pivot right, the left clutch is still driving some, but not enough to push a load.

Guessing the drive clutches are worn, weak springs, full of sediment, on the left side, and possibly the brakes too, unless the brake would be out of adjustment.

We had a neighbor that had a JD 430, with the same steering/brake system. Had a bad habit of riding those handles back towards himself when pushing dirt, and eventually took the steering clutches out.

I'd say best to get it out of there, and head it for a place, so as to tear into that clutch/brake. Not going to be much fun without a manual though. Good luck finding a manual..!!

Thanks or the reply DJ54. That left steering was showing signs of slipping earlier, the silty material in the catchment basin must had adding to the problem. Further, the right stick has a heavy spring or hydraulic force when pulled back, the left stick has complete free play, no pressure when pulled back. Following the logic of the steering. When the left stick is pulled back, it disengage the left clutch and apply brake, allowing the right track to continue to drive and pivot around thus turning left. With the free play in the stick, and the need for the left clutch to release and brake to turn left, it seems that my left clutch is stuck in the closed position, and the release fork is not pulling it open. Can someone give be a logic check on that. So far I have removed the seat and mount, also the small inspection plate, and I can see the connection pivoting inside.. If I had a manual!!..

Hello folks,

I believe I have found the cause of my CD5B dozer not steering left: I removed the inspection plates over both left and right clutch/steering housing, the covers have a rubber seal and many bolts to keep the compartment seald, the compartment is a dry sump. The steering lever has two visible action when it is pulled to the rear, it tilts a metal yoke that pulls on the clutches ? disengage and it forces a band tight (Brakes)?.. The yoke type device is suposed to be fixed rigid to a shaft, but the numerious tilting action of engaging and disengaging the clutch has broken it loose, so instead of tilting and disengaging the clutch it just slip to one side when the lever is pulled back. I have tried to attach a couple of pictures hopingsomeonecan tell me the name of the device I call yoke, and point me to a possible fix. My apology to the pros. as I try my best to describe the parts and their function. Help!! How do I tighten up this clutch fork/Yoke/device??

Thanks

John

IMG-20130430-00833.jpg
IMG-20130430-00832.jpgIMG-20130430-00832.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20130430-00833.jpg
    IMG-20130430-00833.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
hello again,

see below a few more pictures of the steering lever engaging the yoke. There is a fixed wedge on the steering stick that pushes against the bearing on top of the yoke, this bearing is supposed to spin when the wedge force the yoke to tilt, the bearing on the left is rusted in place and points to a problem in the past that was not corrected, and may have agrivated the fault the dozer is now having.. the bolt against the wedge knuckle seem to be an adjustment bolt to compensate for wear, but will not help with this needed repair..

IMG-20130430-00826.jpgIMG-20130430-00827.jpg

/ 1990 furukawa CD5B Dozer Tractor Will not steer left. #7  
Sure looks like you could remove about 12 bolts, and lift the whole steering/brake unit up out of there, and get it on a bench to have a look see... Doesn't look like the brake drum is shiny, like the brake band has been making contact. Could be the pivot pins are frozen in that too. And the lining maybe worn too...

Easy for me to say..., but if it were me, I'd remove the upper bolts showing, then bump it ahead, or back 1/2 turn of the rear sprocket, and then remove the others. Pull the unit out, and have a good look. Seems there ought to be some springs in there to activate the clutches. Could be rusted up, or again full of dust, sediment. If the brake band is still in decent shape, you could always have it relined.

Not sure how you would torque the bolts, other than a crow foot wrench on a torque wrench, when reassembling. Guess I'd worry about that when I crossed that bridge.

DJ54: Point understood removing the clutch pack was my final solution. Planning to get a hoist and a couple of cross bars together in the AM. Once I get her her out I will know how it works for sure. I may have to do a mcghyver and weld the yoke in place to get her to high ground though. Thanks for the follow up, I really appreciate the feedback.. I will let you know how it turns out...

Regards

John

/ 1990 furukawa CD5B Dozer Tractor Will not steer left. #9  
Would looking at the right side function when moving levers help. is this rust or just dirt on the parts.
Know of a Allis Chalmers dozer that has sat for years then new owner checked other side and saw the problem. for him simple fix.
ken

Would looking at the right side function when moving levers help. is this rust or just dirt on the parts.
Know of a Allis Chalmers dozer that has sat for years then new owner checked other side and saw the problem. for him simple fix.
ken

Ken: That is exactly what I did. after inspecting the problem on the left, I removed the right pannel to agree what a proper functioning unit should be doing.. That is how I know it is not dirt or slipping clutches or a worn brake brace. When the steering/breaking lever is pulled back. 1. the wedge pushes against the yoke, (in the middle of the picture looks like a stub touching it) the yolk tilts and disengage the clutches. The needed repair is to fix the yoke so that it is again regid on the shaft which will allow it to function correctly when the wedge try to tilt it

As is,the clutch remain engaged, and brakes is being applied when you pull back on the left lever.. So the dozer is trying to drive with the brakes applied, evidence that the clutches are still working is that the engine bogs down when trying to lurn left.. As soon as I get it out and have a closer look, I may be able to determine if some failure in the bands may have caused the yoke to exert more pressure that usual to disengage them, and in doing so forced it to ring out of its mount on the spindle going through it. Just had a tought, maybe I can drive a couple of steel nails used for concrete in between the yoke and the spindle, to hold just enough for me to get her to high ground.. Thanks Ken;

Gettiong close to hurricane season and clouds are overhead.