1964 Ford tractor

/ 1964 Ford tractor #1  

bluejacket60

Tractor
1964 ford
Looking for information on how to change oil and filter on PTO and tansmission a 1964 ford 8n tractor and also where is the filter located? My brother bought this tractor and this need sot be done.

/ 1964 Ford tractor #2  
welcome.

1st, we need toknow what tractor you are dealing with.

if it's a 64, it ain't an 8n.

if it's an 8n.. it ain't a 64.

as for oil and filter for the pto? I don't know of a unit that has a filter for the pto.

if unit is an SOS.. I'd say don't touch it till you get all the manuals.

most fords from 39-64 are just going to have a single oil filter... on the crankcase,, ad could be a spin on or cartridge depending on age of engine and model.

if you don't know what you have.. post pics and let us ID it for you.

too many variations between 39-64 for me to type in how to change the oil and filter on all the various sub types.

/ 1964 Ford tractor
Here is the photo of the tractor. Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• tracotr4.jpg
    tracotr4.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 291
  • tracotr5.jpg
    tracotr5.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 146
  • tractor1.jpg
    tractor1.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 773
  • tractor2.jpg
    tractor2.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 746
  • tractor6.jpg
    tractor6.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 190
  • tractor7.jpg
    tractor7.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 149
  • tractor8.jpg
    tractor8.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 172
   / 1964 Ford tractor #4  
What you have is a 1947-1950 8n. Serial number on the block would Give exact year.

Oil filter, fill location, and dipstick can all be seen in the 5th pic you posted just forward. The breather on the front is fill. The one behind that is the cartridge filter under that housing.

Rear axle and transmission fluid are one and the same. Use 90wt gear lube but make sure its yellow metal safe. Fill location is right by the gearshift.

I would also probably use non-detergent motor oil if it hasn't been rebuilt in the last 10 years or so. This can be debated, but modern detergent oil can break loose way too many years of built up gunk and wreak havoc.

Also, get the IT manual. Sound guy will most likely have the number for that

/ 1964 Ford tractor #5  
Good info for the OP guys. HEY, she's been upgraded to 12 Volt!!!

/ 1964 Ford tractor #6  
fo4 service manual.

i personally would go with detergent oil. many better choices.

besides. an N is a bypass filtration system anyway.

i see it has a fire-bomb external filter scabbed in hanging over the manifold.

i'd loose that quick!

/ 1964 Ford tractor #7  
I have a '49 8N,get a FO-4 IT manual for it. Operator and shop(more detailed) manuals are also available. Google 8N tractor forums and visit or join every one. There is a lot of information,parts and implements out there.

/ 1964 Ford tractor #8  
i see it has a fire-bomb external filter scabbed in hanging over the manifold.

i'd loose that quick!

Good catch. I didnt even pick up on that in the tiny pics as viewed on my phone:laughing:

Without actually having a "filter" so to speak, the 8n actually had darn good fuel filtration, with 3 screens and the bowl. Only issues fuel related are usually plugged up screens. So you know they are doing their job:thumbsup:.

Yes, many better choices of modern oil for sure. But these things ran for several decades on non-detergent. Just saying....

I certainly dont want to derail the thread over an oil debate though. I certainly respect your opinion, especially on old fords. I'm just sharing what I have heard, and what we did prior to the rebuild of dads 8n. And several "old timers" said non-detergent only for the reason I mentioned. Now if there was any merit to that????????????????????

/ 1964 Ford tractor #9  
No gear oil in the transhydraulic system. Either SAE 90 GL-1 lube or UTF.

/ 1964 Ford tractor #10  
No gear oil in the transhydraulic system. Either SAE 90 GL-1 lube or UTF.

The GL part stands for Gear Lube......

But yes, no modern "automotive" gear lube. MUST be yellow metal safe.