Chainsaw Sprocket Locked

/ Chainsaw Sprocket Locked #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Poulan Pro 42CC--Motor runs fine but it can't drive the chain sprocket. Can turn the sprocket with a pliers but turns hard. Anyone know what the fix is going to be? Thanks.

/ Chainsaw Sprocket Locked #2  
There is a bearing inside the sprocket that runs on the crankshaft when you are at idle. The bearings will freeze up and lock the drum to the crankshaft. will need to pull it off and possibly lube with some grease. If you mean that the engine won't turn the sprocket could be a clutch problem, but you will need to look at it to determine.

/ Chainsaw Sprocket Locked #3  
It's not in 'safety kick-back lock' mode is it ?

/ Chainsaw Sprocket Locked
Yeah, I didn't realize the safety had locked up the sprocket and thank for your response. Operator error!:D
I do have another question though: Is it normal for all the chain lube oil to leak out when the saw is not being used? There is always a pool of oil in the bottom of the chain saw case after storing for a while.

/ Chainsaw Sprocket Locked #5  
My good saws don't leak but my cheaper pole saw does.

Wish I knew of a fix. The pole saw always gets set on a rag or small drip pan.

/ Chainsaw Sprocket Locked
Guess I need to put a drain plug in the bottom of the case and recycle the lube.:)

/ Chainsaw Sprocket Locked #7  
My Husky leaks oil. It was real bad just before the oil pump died. The pump (on my Husky) is located behind the clutch. You may want to see if you can figure out where the oil is coming from. There's not much to the system, a tank, a seal where the hose connects to the tank, the hose, and the oil pump. A leak could also suck air and reduce the amount of oil going to your chain so I would fix it.

/ Chainsaw Sprocket Locked #8  
Leaking was a real problem for me with a new Craftsman I was given for Christmas one year... I took it back and had to pay a 20% restocking fee and it was worth it.

I always carry a small saw in my truck and the little Echo I bought doesn't leak oil and my Stihl doesn't either.

So yes... some just leak more than others.