1961 B414 wont start......

/ 1961 B414 wont start...... #1  

Clearingout

Tractor
1961 B414, Bolen's G14 and Club Cadet
Not the best way to start out my day. I thought I may have just run out of gas as I was getting low. I refilled the tank and then I couldn't get the tractor to re-start. Turns over fine, but it doesn't start. I thought I remembered how to trouble shoot an old electrical system with points and coils, but may have forgotten over the years. I suspect it isn't getting a good spark, but not sure where to start. The tractor has been operating great up until then.

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

/ 1961 B414 wont start...... #2  
Is it getting fuel? Could be sediment in the tank flowed into the fuel-line, or the carb, clogging things up? Does fuel flow well to the carb? Spark is easy enough to check with a spare plug, unplug spark plug wire from #1, plug into spare plug & hold against a good ground & crank it over. How's the spark look? Should be bright & visable, if not what does the inside of the distributor cap look like? Moisture, corrosion can cause issues, check the rotor while your at it. Clean up the rotor & dist. cap contacts with fine emery cloth. You can do the same with the points if you care to go deeper into the distributor, but mostly I find the dist. cap is the cause.

Rick

/ 1961 B414 wont start...... #3  
Check for a sheared pin on distributor 2 piece shaft. It looks like the rotor is turning,its from friction of the 2 parts rubbing together.

george