John Deere 212 Drive Belt questions

/ John Deere 212 Drive Belt questions #1  

joe z

Tractor
John Deere 212
I bought an old 212 (85?) last summer. The previous owner said he replaced the primary drive belt. Recently, the belt jumped off the back pulley. Sounds like a common problem. I removed the right rear wheel and two of the bolts for the pulley. I loosened the third bolt, and put the belt back in place. Put everything back together, and the tractor doesn't move. As I let out the clutch, I can feel it try to engage, but when it's all the way out, nothing. I can't find any info on belt path. In fact, it sounds like I'm suppose to have two belts to run tranny. Could the previous owner have jerry rigged with only one? The tensioner doesn't appear to be doing much in the config I routed the belt. Does the belt belong over and under the tensioner? There also seems to be a lot of play in the shaft on the pully into the trans. I can slide it back and forth maybe a half an inch or more into the trans. So, I'm left wondering do I have belt in the correct path? Should I have two belts? Is it a trans problem or a clutch issue? Luckily, I didn't pay a lot, and the 212 is built like a tank. I just wish it wasn't as hard to work on and there was better documentation short of the tech service manual (which would cost almost as much as I paid for the 212). Thanks for anyhelp or advice in advance.

/ John Deere 212 Drive Belt questions #2  
Is spring(parts key #14) intact and tight? IIRC idler pulley is to be on the top of the belt. Have you tried changing the setting on the variable speed handle with engine running clutch pedal released?

Attachments

• MP1815_________UN01JAN94.gif
    MP1815_________UN01JAN94.gif
    20 KB · Views: 10,620
  • MP227__________UN01JAN94.gif
    MP227__________UN01JAN94.gif
    22.5 KB · Views: 2,576
   / John Deere 212 Drive Belt questions
Yes, I tried changing the settings on the variable speed with engine running and clutch released. If the belt totally goes under the idler pulley, it must have somehow jumped so the top is over and bottom run of the belt is under. I'll try rerouting the belt under. That sounds like it will work. Thanks for your fast response.

/ John Deere 212 Drive Belt questions #4  
when you removed the right rear wheel, did you make sure when put the wheel back on that you put the key for the axle to wheel back in place?

/ John Deere 212 Drive Belt questions #5  
Don't you mean key for drive hub on variable sheave hub? Wheel has no key only 5 lug bolts

/ John Deere 212 Drive Belt questions #6  
Joe Z,

If the tractor still does not move can you have someone try and drive the tractor while you stand to the right side and see if the belt going to transaxle is moving? If the belt is moving and the input pulley to the transaxle is moving I would have to suspect something in the transaxle is bad. From memory I don't think the input shaft should move back and forth a half inch.

/ John Deere 212 Drive Belt questions
Thanks. It sure helps to route the belt in the correct path. I thought the tensioner should be on top of the belt, but I was afraid that might be wrong and I'd burn up the belt and just compound my problem. A cheap easy fix; just what I needed.

/ John Deere 212 Drive Belt questions #8  
I have a related question. I learned the same thing as the OP a couple of years ago, but my drive belt has jumped again, and I'm convinced it's due to the tension of the spring on the idler pulley. I tore the tractor apart to address several things, including replacing the idler pulley. I don't remember where the spring was connected before (and I think it was probably hooked up wrong anyway), and I can't see where to hook it up.

I'm attaching a photo of the idler pulley area. I've marked a hole that clearly looks like it could be used as the endpoint of a spring, but it's off to the side and I'm afraid that it was that lateral pull that may have caused problems in the past (plus, it's not far enough away to provide any tension on the belt). The place where it looks like there should be a hookup for the spring, straight ahead of the hole in the idler pulley pivot arm, there's nothing to hook to.

Any ideas?

idlerspring.jpg

Attachments

• idlerspring.jpg
    idlerspring.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 5,522