Deere L118 stator - HELP!!!

/ Deere L118 stator - HELP!!! #1  

ctwith3

Tractor
Deere L118
The stator is under the flywheel, yes?
What is the best way to prevent the flywheel from turning if I need to remove it? There is some rust, of course, so I have it soaking in PB Blaster. Anyone know what size socket I need to remove the nut on the flywheel if I have to remove it? 1 1/2? 1 3/4?
I have lots of experience on cars and motorcycles, but this is my first semi-major repair to my L118.
Your help will be appreciated.

/ Deere L118 stator - HELP!!! #3  
Use a impact gun to remove the nut, or strike the end of the wrench with a hammer if you dont have the impact wrench.

/ Deere L118 stator - HELP!!!
Use a impact gun to remove the nut, or strike the end of the wrench with a hammer if you dont have the impact wrench.

best method for removing rust and stopping it from turning while removing the nut/bolt?

/ Deere L118 stator - HELP!!! #5  
If you have an impact wrench, you can hold the flywheel with your hand. If you don't, can you borrow one?
Once the nut is loosened, run it up so it's flush with the threads on the end of the crank. Pay good attention to the design of the crankcase, and place a prybar under two sides of the flywheel, giving slight pressure (use a friend or a knee on the second one). Tap the end of the crankshaft with a brass hammer or lightly with a ball peen hammer, and the flywheel should pop. Use a new key when replacing.
Jim

/ Deere L118 stator - HELP!!! #6  
They make an actual tool to rotate and hold the flywheel by the teeth. It gives a lot more leverage than just your hand, and makes it so you can use hand tools if needed/desired. I call it a flywheel wrench but it probably also has other names:

ft23800.jpg

I have also used a "custom" method to hold a rotating assembly as you unbolt it. Doing this means you have to get at least one bolt out though. I took a piece of flat steel bar and drilled a hole at each end. On one end I used the removed bolt and bolted the end of the bar to the assembly. The other end I used to bolt a chain to it and ran the chain to a suitable anchor. Then, I simply unbolted the rest with a ratchet. The assembly will only spin so far, then lock itself from turning.

Last edited: