pto shaft length

/ pto shaft length #1  

Sheepdr

Bronze Member
Tractor
4330 kabota
I put a 3pt hitch set up on an old int mower. The pto shaft is way to short and has been welded before at the u joints on both ends. Not a good weld. Going to need new ends. The mower won't move in and out very much. The question is how much play do I need so I can hook it up and tilt the mower a little? The length from mower ujoint to the slot on the tractor pto is 28" total. I don't know why I mentioned this but maybe there's a formula or something. I'm thinking if I cut 3" off each end that should work. Please let me know if I'm wrong. Like always time to cut is not that far away.
Sheepdr

/ pto shaft length #2  
Go here: Tractor and Skid Steer Attachment Videos and look for the video titled "How To Measure And Cut A PTO Shaft". It will explain everything.

/ pto shaft length #3  
When the tractor pto shaft & mower gearbox shaft are equal height is when the driveshaft will be at it shortest point. That is where driveshaft should be measured & length altered. I think you'll need to cut off more than 3" on each shaft if you mean each shaft is 28"s long. Does your mower have the Italian style or old sq/rectangular driveshaft?

/ pto shaft length #4  
Don87
I watched the video and I'm confused. When the gentleman took the measurements he measured from notch in tiller GB shaft to center of 3 pt pins then from center of 3 pt balls to end of tractor pto shaft to get 31' total. Then when he measured telescoping shaft from bolt hole on SC yoke to end of pto quick disconnect which is not the same measurement as end of tractor pto shaft. Maybe that difference is to give room to attach pto shaft to tractor. If my old brain is functioning correctly when pto shaft is attached to tractor(shaft level) there will be a greater difference in the 2 lengths than 3". Please feel free to correct me if I'm thinking incorrectly.

/ pto shaft length #5  
Don87
I watched the video and I'm confused. When the gentleman took the measurements he measured from notch in tiller GB shaft to center of 3 pt pins then from center of 3 pt balls to end of tractor pto shaft to get 31' total. Then when he measured telescoping shaft from bolt hole on SC yoke to end of pto quick disconnect which is not the same measurement as end of tractor pto shaft. Maybe that difference is to give room to attach pto shaft to tractor. If my old brain is functioning correctly when pto shaft is attached to tractor(shaft level) there will be a greater difference in the 2 lengths than 3". Please feel free to correct me if I'm thinking incorrectly.
Ted mentioned this in the video.

But in watching the video again, I noticed he said he needed to cut 3 inches off, but actually only cut 2 inches.

I'm not sure of what you are saying about the 3 inches.

When I cut the shaft for my tiller, I didn't use the video. I did it the old way.......I separated the halves, mounted the tiller, held the two halves beside each other(leaving the 1 inch space for connecting to tractor PTO), Drew a line across both and did my cutting(making the plastic cover shorter of course).

But to save all this typing, I just point everyone to Ted's video, as it's easier to show, than tell.

/ pto shaft length #6  
I too was confused by Ted at Everything Attach when he said to cut three inches off then only cut 2 inches. But he used a different shaft for the cutting than the one that he used to do the measurement. I did however use his measuring technique and cut mine accordingly and it worked fine.

You should have seen what this PTO shaft looked like and fit like when it was supposedly cut by the dealership that I bought my tiller from. Now I wish that I had bought one of Ted's tillers instead.

/ pto shaft length
Well I done the measuring like Ted said to with the mower off. All the while thinking it should be 28" long. It measured 35"with mower off. I didn't believe it. Mounted the mower, took measurement, 35". Sure am glad I ask you guys saved my bacon. THANK YOU.
Sheepdr