JD 5420 Not turning over

/ JD 5420 Not turning over #1  

cloudview

Tractor
5420N
Hello all

Basically:

Battery is good.
There's power coming to and from the ignition terminal on the ignition switch. But, no power making it through to the solenoid.
No fuses blown
PTO indicator is off.

I can't find a wiring diagram for this online. I'm assuming there's a few relays and safety switches that could be the problem, but without a wiring diagram....

Any body know what the issue could be? Before I start manually tracing wires.

Thanks
Jon

/ JD 5420 Not turning over #2  
Check this fusible link. Is trans in neutral?

Attachments

• M7291__________UN01JAN94.gif
    M7291__________UN01JAN94.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 212
   / JD 5420 Not turning over
looks like that assembly checks out. Power is there. And jumper is conductive.

I checked the trans position switch. Seems functioning, but no power coming to it.

Must be a relay or something between there and ignition switch. Still haven't been able to find a wiring diagram online.

/ JD 5420 Not turning over #4  
Interested to find out what's wrong. Does the clutch have a switch to make sure you don't lurch forward in case you're not in neutral? Does the pto have to be off to start?

Yep. PTO has to be off, but the indicator light turns on and off nicely with the handle movement. In my experience, those indicator lights are wired directly in with the switch, as a diagnostic tool.

There's no power coming to the neutral switch. So, it's something before that. In my opinion. ha. But, that's why I'm asking the forum, eh?

/ JD 5420 Not turning over #6  
Yep. PTO has to be off, but the indicator light turns on and off nicely with the handle movement. In my experience, those indicator lights are wired directly in with the switch, as a diagnostic tool.

There's no power coming to the neutral switch. So, it's something before that. In my opinion. ha. But, that's why I'm asking the forum, eh?

Every time I have this problem, it turns out to be corrosion at the battery terminal connections. Take both off, get a file (the wire-brush terminal cleaners are not sufficient) and work the terminals until they are bright, do the same to the inside of the connectors, reconnect and try again.

One way to test for this: Disconnect the cables from the battery, take a voltmeter and test the cable resistance. Put one probe on the end of the cable where it connects to the solenoid (or to the frame, for the negative ground) and touch the other end to the inside of the connector at various points. A good cable has about 0.5 ohm resistance. If you get higher numbers when you touch (don't dig in the probe, just touch it) to the inside of the connector, you have a corrosion layer than is impairing the flow of electricity.

Another symptom: Turn on headlights, if they are bright you have plenty of voltage. Turn key to start position, then off. If headlights go dim, then bright, it means you have a bad connection - there is voltage, but not enough current to operate the starter motor. (On my Ford 1920 it takes about 300 amps just to turn the starter motor.)

hey thanks for the help. I had checked the battery.

So far, it looks like I was wrong in the assumption that PTO indicator light would tell if the actual PTO switch was closed. Must be a two position deal. Fine dirt had packed itself in so hard, it eventually wouldn't let the ignition circuit connect. Only the light.

So, for now it's working.

Thanks everyone. Especially that wiring diagram.

/ JD 5420 Not turning over #8  
hey thanks for the help. I had checked the battery.

So far, it looks like I was wrong in the assumption that PTO indicator light would tell if the actual PTO switch was closed. Must be a two position deal. Fine dirt had packed itself in so hard, it eventually wouldn't let the ignition circuit connect. Only the light.

So, for now it's working.

Thanks everyone. Especially that wiring diagram.

Thanks for posting. Another piece to the puzzle has been placed. Good info for people in the future.

/ JD 5420 Not turning over #9  
Wow, that's a new one on me... thanks for reporting back.

/ JD 5420 Not turning over #10  
I blew a 30 amp fuse on the start cycle, replaced fuse and now no power to the fuse,