Quick question - When you take the oil filter off, does the oil need to be drained?

/ Quick question - When you take the oil filter off, does the oil need to be drained? #1  

TexasDad76

Tractor
Husqvarna 2754GLS and GT52XLS
I changed the oil -- including re-filling it with new oil -- then I decided to change the oil filter as well (which has never been done on my 5-year-old mower).

Do I need to drain the brand-new oil into a container so it doesn't all end up on the floor?

If I manage to get the oil filter off (which is another story -- quite difficult on a factory install) I'd like to know what to expect. I've never done this before.

Thanks,

Matthew

/ Quick question - When you take the oil filter off, does the oil need to be drained? #2  
I took a quick look on line of the oil capacity on a Husqvarna 2754GLS, 64 oz with filter replacement. We are not talking a lot of money for 2 qts of oil. I'd just do the whole oil change and filter over and not worry about the existing oil.

/ Quick question - When you take the oil filter off, does the oil need to be drained? #3  
I don't know what engine that model has, but it should be easy to figure out. Measure how far down on the dipstick the oil level is. Convert this to a distance above the floor. Then measure the distance from the floor to the filter and that will tell you whether the oil will drain out when you remove the filter.

/ Quick question - When you take the oil filter off, does the oil need to be drained? #4  
If you didn't start the engine after filling w/ new oil just drain the new oil into a clean container. Change the filter and add the same oil, no need
to waste perfectly good oil.

/ Quick question - When you take the oil filter off, does the oil need to be drained? #5  
I would mow with it once, then change the oil and filter again.. We have a waste oil furnace so I tend to change oil more often than many..

/ Quick question - When you take the oil filter off, does the oil need to be drained? #6  
I would mow with it once, then change the oil and filter again..

I'd probably do that too, just for the fact that it hasn't been changed in 5 years.

/ Quick question - When you take the oil filter off, does the oil need to be drained? #7  
Thanks for the original question. I've never done an oil and filter change as it was always part of my vehicle servicing by a mechanic. Chances are that I too would've made the same mistake.

I'll file this little tid-bit away for the future. Ta (yet again) to everyone on TBN! :thumbsup:

/ Quick question - When you take the oil filter off, does the oil need to be drained? #8  
Seeing it's the first time in 5yrs, I'd run it for a short time then drain all the oil, change the filter & refill with clean oil - oil is relatively cheap so it's a false economy to try to save a few $'s - use something like an icecream container to position/ catch the waste oil under the drain plug & filter.

Further things to consider :
- IMO on mowers oil should be changed every 50hrs or so, or at the end of each season (whichever comes first)
- Clean &/or replace the air filter at the same schedule
- Drain the old oil when the motor is warm as it better flows/removes the contaminants (just be cautious not to burn you hands if it's too hot)
- Next when removing the oil filter make certain the rubber sealing ring/gasket remains on & is removed with the oil filter (& doesn't stay on the engine oil filter housing)
- When installing a new oil filter place a thin layer/smear of oil onto the rubber sealing ring/gasket on the new oil filter & the same with the filter thread
- Then use quality oil & a suitable grade recommended for the engine, make certain to use the correct volume taking care not to under nor over fill (check the marking on the dipstick once you fill, then in a few hours, shortly after starting post an oil change & then prior to every use))
- Invest in a rubber strap oil filter wrench (for a few $ it'll make the job of removing/installing the oil filter easy, but be carefull not to overtighten a new filter, spin it on hand tight then max 1/8 turn with the wrench - it should be firm, not reefed up tight with all your strength)

Same principles/process apply for engine oil changes for most equipment, vehicles, motorcycles....etc.

:thumbsup:Congratulations to all who have an enquiring mind, ask these type of questions & are willing to learn - mechanical skills are acquired rather than inherited (apart from saving the cost of workshop rates I'm surprised more people don't do their own basic maintenace if only for the feeling of accomplishment )