Kubota Won't Start?

/ Kubota Won't Start? #11  
Re: Kubota Won\'t Start?

As someone else mentioned, you can pull the starter and go have it checked. If you are lucky, you may find a place that will rebuild yours instead of buying a new one.

Before you pull it though, take those battery cables of the battery, and off the starter and the chassis ground. Make sure they are spotless and clean clean clean. Make sure the spot where the chassis ground attaches is really really clean. As long as you have them disconnected, check where the wire goes under the insulation. Ohm them out. You can have corrosion under the insulation where you can not see it.

The starter grounds to the engine. Pull the starter and check the mating surfaces. I seem to remember you have had this tractor in mud? You may have bad grounds here and there.

Checking all those conections and making sure they are clean is free. I would try that before servicing the starter. If it does not work, then have that starter rebuilt.

Also, have the battery load tested. It's free at most shops. You never know, the battery and the starter may be weak...

Yours is a manual tranny, right? You could warm the glow plugs and then pull start it with your pickup... At least that would get it into your garage/shop.

/ Kubota Won't Start? #12  

You might be able to disassemble the solenoid yourself. It is basically an electromagnet with a contact disc. When you turn the key to start it engages the electromagnet and pulls a plunger in, this engages the starter drive and forces the contact disc into the starter motor contacts. Pull it apart and clean and lightly grease the plunger, then polish the motor contacts and the disc. You can turn the disc so the contacts hit on a fresh surface, this is what the rebuilders do when they don't replace the solenoid. Don't forget to re- install the return spring on the plunger when you put it back together. You could then, if you have confidence in your mechanical ability, open up the motor and check the brushes and bushings. You can replace the brushes yourself, the bushings can be a little complicated. If the brushes still look serviceable you can make sure they are free in their holders and polish the commutator. The biggest problem with worn bushings is they let the armature drag on the field coils. I have rebuilt a ton of starters, probably about 70% successfully. Even if you have a growler and check the field for continuity you can run into problems with windings that open or short out when hot. My starter and alternator man gets around $35 to $50 to rebuild just about anything and can get parts that no one else stocks. I have him do most of my stuff except for my starter on my truck, it burns the solenoid contacts up once a year so I pull them out, silver solder them up and stick them back in. He showed me this trick the first time it happened when I took them in to buy replacements.

/ Kubota Won't Start? #13  

Neil:

Sounds like you have a project for Solenoid Starter Man. Sounds like the thingy [ it has a real name but I forget ] that engages the flywheel gears didn't disengage.

Egon

/ Kubota Won't Start?

Gee fellas, I hardly get time to check out TBN these days, let alond get freindly with the innards of a starter motor.

Tried again this morning. With a few more bangs I got it turning over but wouldn't fire.

Does sort of sound like starter is not un-meshing from the rign gear. Makes an awful noise.

So starter and solenoid are now out (took all of 5 minutes) and are waiting for the trip into see the "Starter & Solenoid Man".

Thanks once again for all your help.

Cheers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Kubota Won't Start?

Took it to the Auto Electrician.

Starter is buggered.

Turns out the solenoid gets its earth thru the bizzo at the back of the starter motor, so the jumpering trick between the BIg 7 LITTLE terminals doesn't always work (Like in my case)

So we all learn something every now and then !!

Cheers

/ Kubota Won't Start? #16  

You learned something, now I need to learn something. Just what the he11 is a bizzo? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Kubota Won't Start?

The bizzo was the copper doovy at the back of the starter.

I think it is connected to the whatsit.

The bizzo didn't have enough copper left for the whatsit to do its job properly.

He i sgoing to try and replace the whole bizzo with a second hand one.

As for the thingy, I think it was cactus too !

/ Kubota Won't Start? #18  

With that post, three guys who were fixin' to get brave and attempt their own starter repair just decided to take it to the shop! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Kubota Won't Start? #19  

Neil:

Does that all sound like a commutator, armature and brushes. Still can't remember what the thingy is called.

Egon