B&S 21hp v-twin governor adjusting problem

/ B&S 21hp v-twin governor adjusting problem #1  

dmisem

Tractor
B&S
Please help. I have 6 years old riding mower with 446777 0246 e1 on it. The valves pushing rods were bent so I replaced both cylinders (and the Carb just in case...). It starts fine but the governor shaft adjustment doesn`t work. The engine starts hi rpm right away. The most weird thing is that the accelerator shaft on the carb is always open - no matter how everything adjusted. Does anybody know if its a sign of bad governor springs or I have to replace whole governor mechanism? How can I check it? Does the intake carburetor windows closed when the engine is not running?
Thanks a lot.

/ B&S 21hp v-twin governor adjusting problem #4  
Thanks. Do you think its a broken governor mechanism? Any chances that it could be a bad spring or bent lever?

Nope, you probably just got the linkages for the throttle out of adjustment when you replaced the carb. Look carefully at the linkage pictures in the thread and then read the instructions on how to baseline the carb and governor adjustments. The governor sets both the idle speed AND the high speed operation on this motor. You can fine tune the idle speed with the set screw on the carb body.

/ B&S 21hp v-twin governor adjusting problem #5  
On second thought.... did you recover all the pieces of the pushrods, or did they stay in one piece? If one of the pushrods got down into the bottom of the motor, it could have killed the governor mechanism.

/ B&S 21hp v-twin governor adjusting problem
Thanks. With the engine off and throttle in LOW position the intake side of the carb should be shut, right?

Push rods where bent because the rods guides on top of the cylinder was out of its place. I replaced the cylinders, rods, gaskets. The rods (old and new) were made out of one solid piece each.

The mower was unmoved for 2 years. Is it possible that the governor mechanism stuck?

/ B&S 21hp v-twin governor adjusting problem #9  
Thanks. With the engine off and throttle in LOW position the intake side of the carb should be shut, right?

I will have to look tonight, but i believe it should be pulled open when the motor is at rest. You're not looking at the choke plate.... that would be the first thing you see looking down the carb inlet.

/ B&S 21hp v-twin governor adjusting problem #10  
The mower was unmoved for 2 years. Is it possible that the governor mechanism stuck?

What was the the reason it was parked?? Is this machine new to you?