Spin on oil filter conversion

/ Spin on oil filter conversion #1  

ASBURYFARMER

Tractor
Ford/4400 & 3400
Has anyone have experienced converting a Ford 4000 diesel to spin on oil filter? Problems?

/ Spin on oil filter conversion #2  
3 cyl?

not that it matters...

those made for canister filters are simple to convert using a new plate /gasket or oring and threaded plug.

i have a couple converted units.

no issues.

on rare occasion removing a filter may pullt he plug if you've got bad threads..e tc..

that's rare...

/ Spin on oil filter conversion
Yes, it's a 3 cylinder diesel. I have a dickens of a time getting the canister to reseal when i change the cartridge type oil filter. I've tried re-installing canister about 20 times this past week all with leaking issues. I actually have two 4400's with same problem with both. I've ordered 2 conversion kits online. Cost 1/6 of Ford dealers price. Just wondering if anyone else converted anddid this solve their leaking problem?

/ Spin on oil filter conversion #4  
Yes, it's a 3 cylinder diesel. I have a dickens of a time getting the canister to reseal when i change the cartridge type oil filter. I've tried re-installing canister about 20 times this past week all with leaking issues. I actually have two 4400's with same problem with both. I've ordered 2 conversion kits online. Cost 1/6 of Ford dealers price. Just wondering if anyone else converted anddid this solve their leaking problem?

most of the problems i see witht he canisters not sealing are as follows:

all of the old gasket has not been removed 100%, and the surface of the block and the canister is not clean.. or the canister base is not true.

over tightening can distort the canister.

2, oring is not in proper place.

I clean the block and canister with brake cleaner till it is dry ad shiney. i then apply stiff chassis grease to the canster base where the oring sets and stick the oring to it. then put it on and rotate the canister a bit to seat.. then tighten.

also. the threads need to be cleaned onthe stem, and the area at the top of the canister too...

lastly. some people glue the oring on with permatex.. and while that usually works the first time.. many don't get all the permatex off when changing and this leads back to #1 problem.

i have a 3000 witht he canister and many prior moels with the canister. none of them leak.

i also have 3 and 4 cyl models witht he spin on... non of them leak.

i have a few with the conversion palte.

none of them leak. :)

if you are getting consistant leakers and everything is clean and in place. i'd check them canisters...

of course.. moot point now.. etc.

when installing that plate. clean everything to bare squaky shiney clean metal first...

i like to lube the orings. parker makes a nice oring lube.. but grease works fine too.

Thanks Soundguy, Yeah, the mounting area for the flat canister gasket is very clean. I use a dab of grease to hold the gasket in place when re-installing the canister. I've also tried carefully, lightly "polishing" canister flange on steel table with fine emery paper. Thought I might try a little gasket sealer (Permatex) over the week end until conversion kits arrive. Never used any sealer before on mating surfaces so there's no build up to remove. Thanks again!

/ Spin on oil filter conversion #6  
if it's clean.. apply permatex #2 to the flange ont he canister and the engine. ( will have to degrease with brake cleaner to do this.. or the p-2 won't stick.

then apply the gasket to t he block.. then the canister lid.

I've never had that fail.

mind you..it's a bear to remove after that. :)

p-2 is 'non hardening.. but it makes a darn good glue.. :)

Thanks again. Will take all your advice and try that #2 in the morning (Saturday)! At this point I don't have anything to lose. I did consider that the canisters may have gotten distorted over the years. They are no longer available new from Mr. Ford (dealer).

/ Spin on oil filter conversion #8  
yup.

i've seen some that that the deges bent soo bad the prev owner glued them in with copious amounts of rtv..

i took a small balpeen and set it flat again on my anvil. took a couple hours of playing with it and doing some other odd tasks till i got it nice.. that included 'surfaceing the think after hammering on it using a disc sander to take out the peen marks.