John Deere 5310 won't start

/ John Deere 5310 won't start #1  

mkiser

Tractor
john deere
I have a 2000 model John Deere 5310 that when you try to start it, it will turn over, but the fuel shut off solenoid does not open, therefore not allowing fuel to start it. You can run a jump wire from the battery positive to the top of the fuel shut off solenoid, and it will crank. All fuses have been checked. What is keeping the fuel shut off solenoid from opening up during normal operation? Any help is appreciated!

/ John Deere 5310 won't start #2  
Have you checked the ign switch for continuity?

/ John Deere 5310 won't start #3  
I know you said the fuses look could, but could you check them again, namely the fuel solenoid fuse. It is on the top second from the left 20 amp. I have included an online manual. Post back if this is the problem.

If the all the fuses look could it could be a safety switch, the one for the PTO or the neutral switch for the transmission. If you go to JDparts you will find diagrams to help locate the switches.

The problem also could be a bad starter relay or starter bypass relay, both of these are located behind the instrument cluster. Again JDparts will give you a diagram.

I also attached a wiring diagram.

I have also include some other URLs you may find of value.

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE71736_19/

John Deere - Parts Catalog

Fuel cap leaking
- //www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/tips/augusta/5000/leakfuelcap.html

Instrument glass fogging up
-//www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/tips/augusta/5000/instrpanelfog.html

Clutch Slip need for .5 inch free play in clutch
-//www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/tips/augusta/5000/clutchslip.html

How to determine model year
--//www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/tips/augusta/5000/modelyear.html

Front End Noise
-//www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/tips/augusta/5000/backlash.html

Attachments

• 5210wiring.jpg
    5210wiring.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 13,689
   / John Deere 5310 won't start
Thanks everyone, I have checked all of the fuses, several times :) I have also checked the relays. I will go check the different switches. Someone was telling me that it could be the thermistor, that it affects the solenoid from opening, but they weren't sure if the 5310 has this. Does anyone know if the 5310 has it, or where it would be?

/ John Deere 5310 won't start #5  
Also the diode pack could be the problem.

To answer your question on the thermistor sensor (thermistors are temperature variable resistors used as sensors.). On the thermostat housing there is a sensor that is connected to a two wire harness that goes to the injection pump; this is the "cold start advance" portion of the system so it starts easier when cold by advancing the timing.

The part # is RE503242, I attached a few pictures. You can try unplugging, but if your not blowing the fuel solenoid fuse, most likely this is not your problem.

The thermistor plays a different role on the 3029 engines, then it does on other engines. On the 3029 its role is only for the cold start, while on other engines, its role is in opening the fuel solenoid. Once you unplug it you can ohm test it to see, if it is working.

I have attached a URL to the engine manual, which addresses the cold start.

www.visaevolution.com/dati_sito/manuali/officina/motori/john deere/ctm125-3029-ENG.pdf

Attachments

• temperaturesenor.jpg
    temperaturesenor.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,049
  • RE503242.jpg
    RE503242.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 2,211
Last edited:
   / John Deere 5310 won't start #6  
Not the best picture, but here is a picture of what makes up the starting system. The only thing not shown is the thermistor sensor, which I addressed in my previous post.

Attachments

• startsystem.jpg
    startsystem.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 3,728
I tried unplugging the wire harness that goes into the injection pump, but it still didn't work. I also checked the diode pack and the relays and they all seemed to be functioning as well. Any other suggestions?...I'm not coming up with anything!

/ John Deere 5310 won't start #8  
Here is how I would proceed. I take it you have a volt/ohm meter

I would replace the 20 amp fuel solenoid fuse or at least ohm test it. While I had the fuse out I would see, if I had voltage there, not sure which side comes from the key switch. The key should only have to be in the run position. No voltage on either side the problem is in the switch or the wiring from the switch. The wiring from the switch is 022.

If you take off the left cowling there are 4 little boxes from front to rear they are diode pack, by-pass start relay, fuel shut off relay and accessory relay. I would take off the negative side of the battery, then take out the diode, by-pass and fuel shut off relays clean up the contacts and put them back in.

Still not working pull the fuel shut-off relay and see if you have power on 30 ( you should see 30 on what the relay plugs into) this would be wire 092 from the 20 amp fuse. No power either relay is bad or not getting power. See if you have power on 86, if yes the most likely the fuel shut relay is bad. If you have no power the diode pack of the by-pass relay is problem.

Let me know what you find and we can see about testing if there is power to the by-pass relay. I attached a pdf that may help.

Attachments

• relay.pdf
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,057
   / John Deere 5310 won't start #9  
Here is a better picture of the start system and should make my earlier post easier to understand.

Attachments

• startsys3.jpg
    startsys3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 6,200
Thanks for all of your help on this matter :) I tested all of the relays and diode pack with the volt/ohm meter. Everything seemed to be working properly. I checked the fuses again to make sure I wasn't missing something, but still no luck. I called the John Deere people, they didn't give me any tips either, but they are sending someone up here on Wednesday to look at it. Maybe they will know some trick.