4wd problem

/ 4wd problem #1  

woodcrosscut

Tractor
john deere 3320
HELLO... I HAVE A 2006 JD 3320 COMPACT TRACTOR W/hydrostactic trans. when i activate the 4wd i sometime get a clinking noise and some vibration from the left side of the trans. about where the 4wd selector linkage goes into the trans. if i disengage the 4wd and resume 2wd the noise and vib stops but then i don't have the 4wd abilty. this just started a short while ago and at one point went away but now its back on and off and i sure do miss the 4wd. I bought the tractor with 200 hours on it and now have 800. I have most of the time operating it in 4wd and have now been told only to use the 4wd when needed which is most of the time. I have tried pulling the selector handle more toward the 4wd position and thought that this sometime helped but does not always. From under the tractor I can move the linkage from both positions ( 4wd to 2wd) and it moves freely and does not look bent. By moving both the linkage and the drive shaft I can feel the diffrence in the drive shaft both locking in and letting go. maybe I don't have enough throw in the linkage or maybe someone knows of a simular or common problem with the JD tractor. Stumped at this point can use advice

/ 4wd problem
After much thought and a good exam I found that one of the splined collars on the driveshaft was stripped but not all the way back so if the sliding collar was in a position closer to the front of the tractor it worked well but if it moved to the rear position it slipped and made that awful noise. parts were very low $24 so I was lucky. Thanks for listening