TC 30 wont start

/ TC 30 wont start #1  

Granduer

Tractor
New Holland TC30
Hi, Im new to the site so forgive me if I dont seem versed in lingo.

I have a TC30 that has run just fine tell a couple days ago. i started it and went about 100 feet and it just died. So i get off and look at the fuel filter which had some crud in but not bad. While looking at the fuel filter I noticed that the oil dip stick was slightly out. I said to myself what in the world. So I pulled it out and checked the oil and it was GREY in COLOR< first thought OH GREAT. So i drianed the oil flushed the engine per New Holland dealers direction and then filled with fresh oil. I tried to start the tractor but it would fire, so Ic hanged the filter and flush the fuel system. I bleed the fuel line to the injector pump but I still dont get but a spit of fuel from the injection pump. The Solenoid to injection pump is good also. AAny help with both of these issues is greatly welcomed.

/ TC 30 wont start #2  
Welcome! How many hours are on this machine? It sounds to me like you have blown a head gasket. This would explain the grey oil (mixed with water) and the starting issue (not enough compression). If you can get a gauge to check the compression this would let you know for sure.

/ TC 30 wont start
It only has 261 hrs on it. Thats what I thought also, but the dealer told me to drain oil replace with new oil and make sure there was coolant in it and start it up to see if I got waterin oil again but it wouldn't start and the dealer does know why the injection pump is not putting out fuel.

/ TC 30 wont start #4  
Are you following the procedure in the operator's manual for bleeding the fuel system? Is there a bleeding port, not the fuel line, on the injector body that you open and then crank the engine until fuel spurts out, then close it?

If your injector pump is leaking fuel into the crankcase, it will make the oil more grey than golden colored. Was there excess oil (over full) on the dipstick when you first noticed it was not all the way in?

Try opening your fuel filler cap in case the vent is clogged.

/ TC 30 wont start
Dave, I have bleed the pump per instructions in manual. There is only one bleed port mention in manual and it is on top of the pump and thats the one I used.

The was about 8 or 9 quarts of fluid in the crankcase when I drained it. Normal oil cap is 4.5 qts

I have also tried remove the fill cap as you mentioned no luck.

/ TC 30 wont start #6  
G'day from the hours you are saying is on the machine and if you have followed the books instructions then I think this is a warranty issue. Do not go any further into it get the dealer to come and have a look that way you are still covered by warranty. Dealer should have told you to leave it until they look at it, it should not have hade twice the fluid in the sump so something is wrong.

Jon

/ TC 30 wont start
Jon, I took it to the dealer today. We'll see what they have to say.... I don't have a warranty cause the tractor is 12 years old.

/ TC 30 wont start
Jon, I took it to the dealer today. We'll see what they have to say.... I don't have a warranty cause the tractor is 12 years old.

Well the Dealer told me oh its the head gasket so they pulled the head sent it to be checked. The head was good not cracked or worped. Head gasket, when taken apart they said look ok but replace it along with all normal parts. So, when they put it back together (for a sum of $1600) and started it and guess what it still got water in the oil, they then decided to do a pressure test on the engine (why they didn't do this first I don't know) and found that it was still leaking inside the BLOCK and told me that it most like was a bad casting from the factory. Called New Holland tech support line and was told that they will not do anything to help even though the tractor only has 260 hours on it. The dealer wants $7000 for new engine plus labor to put it in and the cost of the head work they did for a grand total of around $9000+. I only paid 12k for the tractor new. I WILL NEVER BUT NEW HOLLAND AGAIN AND I ALSO WILL NEVER USE BOONE TRACTOR IN SALEM VA AGAIN. Anyone know if I can sell the parts from tractor or the entire tractor on here for parts since its not worth fixing. Also does anyone know what I should ask for the tractor as it is :thumbdown:. Thanks for your help.:

/ TC 30 wont start #9  
Yes , Sell parts here or on Ebay . On Ebay , you could also sell as a whole unit for parts . Going to do a little searching this morning though , I have same tractor although a couple of years older , but it is a 3 cylinder engine , so will look for a drop in unit ??

How mechanically inclined are you ??

Complete remanufactored engine from Messicks is $5978 - $ 6093 depending on serial number . A bare block is $2082 .

Fred H.

Last edited: