Kohler pro 20 hp can not get fuel to carb

/ Kohler pro 20 hp can not get fuel to carb #1  

jimb1105

Tractor
Dixie Chopper
New to site looking for solution to fuel problem. I have cleaned tanks, installed all new lines, installed electric fuel pump, installed new Carb. can not get fuel past bowl to keep engine running, will run short time with choke pulled but still dies. driving me crazy any ideas?

/ Kohler pro 20 hp can not get fuel to carb #2  
It sounds, from the title of your thread, that you have identified the problem. If there is not enough fuel in the carb bowl when you start the engine, and it does not flow into the bowl fast enough, your description of the problem would fit. You have already changed most of the things that can affect fuel flow. Have you replaced the in-line fuel filter? Have you checked to see that the fuel shut-off valve is clear and open? When the engine dies from lack of fuel, shut off the fuel from the tank and see if there is a full carb bowl of fuel or if it is empty (I know, that means taking the carburetor apart or removing the bowl -- PIA). If no fuel then the problem is still in the supply lines or the float assy (I assume you replaced the carb because of the problem? not for some other reason?). Last thought;
does this particular carb have an anti backfire solenoid on the bottom of the float bowl? If that is not working, that could cause no fuel from carb bowl to engine. It closes off the main jet.

/ Kohler pro 20 hp can not get fuel to carb
I have flow up to carb but can not get fuel into carb bowl, had same problem with old carb. you mentioned anti backfire solenoid just what is its purpose and could this be the problem?
I re-read your answer and I think the anti backfire solenoid just might be my problem because fuel does not enter engine. Thanks I am going tom check that out.

Last edited:
   / Kohler pro 20 hp can not get fuel to carb #4  
The solenoid should not prevent fuel from entering the bowl -- just going into the main Jet from the bowl. If you are not getting fuel into the bowl from the fuel line but fuel flows freely out of the line if you disconnect it from the bowl, there are only a couple of things that can stop the fuel. 1) some engines (Honda is an example, I don't know if the new Kohlers have one) have a final screen in the inlet to the carb. If that is plugged, no fuel. 2) the float can be stuck or the needle valve stuck to the inlet seat. Last, and it doesn't seem that it would be the case, is that the carb air vent could be plugged and that would not let air out to let fuel in. Shouldn't have been bad on both carbs.

/ Kohler pro 20 hp can not get fuel to carb #5  
A further note; the Kohler website has service manuals on line. You can find the one for your engine and there will be a pretty good diagnostic discussion.

I think the anti backfire solenoid is the whole problem tried old and new one still have the same problem
Thanks eddie48

I removed the push rod (for the lack of any other description) from the solenoid engine fired up without choke and ran with choke open. it is flooding a bit and sputtering but run and mows grass. I do believe the solenoid to be the issue. even with new carb it would not run so I reinstalled the old one. I guess being a new part don't mean much either. I will go to the Kohler website and check it out. I might just learn something. Again Thanks