LA 120 starter problems

/ LA 120 starter problems #1  

firecat101

Tractor
John Deer LA120 and L190c
Hi everyone, first post. I have a LA120 JD which has some kind of starting problem. I am sitting in the seat, brake depressed, I turn the key, starter will engage to flywheel and stop. Engine will turn slightly, but not turn over. I have checked all connections, replaced battery and starter. I have bypassed the solenoid to no avail. I have checked the voltage at the battery and the starter when starting, both drop as expected, sometimes will start. If anyone can help with something else, please respond.
Thank you in advance!!

/ LA 120 starter problems #2  
Remove cables from batt and tractor. Clean to shiny 4 ends and 2 terminals and starter terminal and ground location. Light smear of Vaseline on contacting surfaces. Reassemble very snug.
Also make sure cables are good - sometimes swaged ends lose contact with wire almost or completely.
Jim

/ LA 120 starter problems #4  
   / LA 120 starter problems #5  
It's not crazy but if the valves are out of adjustment they will not release the compression just before it starts to turn over stops it dead.

Yep, been there, done that, replaced solenoid, multiple battery's, and bought (and still have) a nice new starter... yep it was the valves.

James K0UA

/ LA 120 starter problems
Yes, 21 hp ohv engine, slight adj. to valves and starts great. At least they could have put that in the maint. some where ya think? 250 hours on LA120, maybe transmission next? So far so good. Thanks for all the responses and yes burnt up new starter, reinstalled old starter. Thanks!!

/ LA 120 starter problems #7  
Yes, 21 hp ohv engine, slight adj. to valves and starts great. At least they could have put that in the maint. some where ya think? 250 hours on LA120, maybe transmission next? So far so good. Thanks for all the responses and yes burnt up new starter, reinstalled old starter. Thanks!!

Your welcome, glad you got it going. I still have a new starter in the box..they don't take them back:)

James K0UA