Tractor
    John Deer LA120 and L190c

Default LA 120 starter problems

Hi everyone, first post. I have a LA120 JD which has some kind of starting problem. I am sitting in the seat, brake depressed, I turn the key, starter will engage to flywheel and stop. Engine will turn slightly, but not turn over. I have checked all connections, replaced battery and starter. I have bypassed the solenoid to no avail. I have checked the voltage at the battery and the starter when starting, both drop as expected, sometimes will start. If anyone can help with something else, please respond.
    Thank you in advance!!

Tractor
    1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)

Remove cables from batt and tractor. Clean to shiny 4 ends and 2 terminals and starter terminal and ground location. Light smear of Vaseline on contacting surfaces. Reassemble very snug.
    Also make sure cables are good - sometimes swaged ends lose contact with wire almost or completely.
    Jim
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly" Mae West

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: LA 120 starter problems

Is the engine a Briggs? if so when was the last time you checked the valve clearance? I know this sounds crazy.

Lawn Mower Repair Valve Adjustment Briggs and Stratton V-Twin - YouTube

( HOW TO ADJUST VALVES) FIX HARD TO START Lawn Tractor with OHV Briggs Engine- MUST SEE- Part 1/2 - YouTube

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    LS U5030C

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    Is the engine a Briggs? if so when was the last time you checked the valve clearance? I know this sounds crazy.

Lawn Mower Repair Valve Adjustment Briggs and Stratton V-Twin - YouTube

( HOW TO ADJUST VALVES) FIX HARD TO START Lawn Tractor with OHV Briggs Engine- MUST SEE- Part 1/2 - YouTube

James K0UA
    It's not crazy but if the valves are out of adjustment they will not release the compression just before it starts to turn over stops it dead.
    LS U5030C, International McCormick B-414 Gas

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by ozley View Post
    It's not crazy but if the valves are out of adjustment they will not release the compression just before it starts to turn over stops it dead.
    Yep, been there, done that, replaced solenoid, multiple battery's, and bought (and still have) a nice new starter... yep it was the valves.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    John Deer LA120 and L190c

Yes, 21 hp ohv engine, slight adj. to valves and starts great. At least they could have put that in the maint. some where ya think? 250 hours on LA120, maybe transmission next? So far so good. Thanks for all the responses and yes burnt up new starter, reinstalled old starter. Thanks!!

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by firecat101 View Post
    Yes, 21 hp ohv engine, slight adj. to valves and starts great. At least they could have put that in the maint. some where ya think? 250 hours on LA120, maybe transmission next? So far so good. Thanks for all the responses and yes burnt up new starter, reinstalled old starter. Thanks!!
    Your welcome, glad you got it going. I still have a new starter in the box..they don't take them back

James K0UA
    James KUA