JD 4200 PTO light wont go off

/ JD 4200 PTO light wont go off #1  

kennelman

Tractor
2000 JD 4200. PTo lights stays on so wont start. I think I found the PTO safety switch on the right side, behind the tire. put in a jumper plug, NG. Read it was on the left side but cant find one on the left. SYMPTOMS, when shutting off PTO with lever, light would trail (stay on a little while). Then moving lever a few times would get it to go off. Letting it sit, it would go off. Now its been sitting 2 days and wont go off (was off when parked). Last use, rocked the tractor slightly F/R and light would go on/off. Its loaded with back hoe, front loader and mid mount mower so very hard to see/get to anything, and cant take stuff off with motor not running (need hydraulics).
Tugged on cables behind seat, what are visible to left and right and 2 wire going to what looks like safety switch, NG. Also cant see the light from where you have to be to tug the wires! Seat switch OK. Checked relay with tap test (hammer) no change.
Thanks for any help
219 663 0843 a9xw@cs.com

/ JD 4200 PTO light wont go off #2  
Yeah, it could be the relay, the switch, or the wire. The switch is quite hard
to see on the left side, high up on the tractor carcass, under the seat area. If
you can pull off the wires, you can jumper them without getting to the switch.

Or, check your wiring diagram for the right color codes, clip them, then short them
together.

Good luck.

/ JD 4200 PTO light wont go off
FOUND IT!!!! Whomever put this switch in this location is an idiot. ACCESS: tip seat forward, remove the left side plastic cover between the seat and fender that the ABNC gear shift passes through. Move the ABC lever forward. wiggle the plastic panel forward and up on its side. Look down and you can see the main cable harness. Hidden under this is a small break out cable that goes to the PTO switch. I don't see how to ever get a wrench on it, but I managed to pry off the cable, and plugged in the $11 shorting plug. INSTANT FIX. (after 3 hrs of Chinese puzzle trying to find/see it. 1 screw and 3 bolts hold the plastic cover. I could not even get my hand up high enough from below to reach it. It helped to bend the seat belt bracket toward the right side to get my hand into the tiny opening where this switch is. Bend back when done. Also managed to bang my head on the roll bar that is in the way. Its about 4" forward of the roll bar couple inches down from the top of the tranny case. OUCH OUCH.

/ JD 4200 PTO light wont go off
JD has a plug that mates with the wiring harness to bypass the switches. It was $11 with tax. Its just a wire loop on a connector.
Thanks to DFKRUG that got me looking in the right area. The dealer had no clue where it was and the books don't show the location. To fool you there is another identical switch on the right side that is nice and easy to reach.

/ JD 4200 PTO light wont go off #6  
Interesting, is it sold as a 'test tool' kind of thing ?