Toro 265h Wont crank over.

/ Toro 265h Wont crank over. #1  

slowgsxr97

Tractor
New holland mc28
Ok, got my dads toro 265h at the house. Its not cranking over, When you turn the key you can hear one of the two relays click but thats all. There is not 12 volts on the small post of the solonoid. If you jump the solonoid it will crank over, but will not start.

it started with the key for about 30 seconds, when first out of the garage this year, But it just died like the key was shut off.

Im not sure how to bypass the parking brake switch, and have no idea about the pto safty, its electric pto. Seat is not an issue. JUST FOR TESTING, They will be functional before its used.

Any advice on where to start with this? I have a good multimeter, but no manual for the tractor.

/ Toro 265h Wont crank over. #2  
If i'm correct in my memory in order to crank over PTO has to be off, parking brake on and operator in seat. This will allow the relay to be set for cranking. so these are the items to look at or possible k-2 relay. check the switches for continuity. since it just died like the key was shut off, check the seat switch. try this site. Toro wheelhorse Demystification Electical wiring diagrams for all WheelHorse tractors

/ Toro 265h Wont crank over.
Thank you for the manual. I got some good info but still not quite clear on how to check the things I need to, It did show how to test the seat switch, It checks good. Itn not clear on the parking brake switch or relay test.

Anyone feel like walking me through it? The parking brake switch has 3 wires, looks like 2 go to the same post.

I dont have 12v to small orange wire on solenoid, but I do at the ignition. the other small wire on the solenoid is green, I assume a ground. It has no continuity to frame.

Am I guessing right on safty switch or could there be other culprits?

/ Toro 265h Wont crank over. #4  
test parking brake switch same way as seat switch.

It has 3 posts, insted of 2. Thats what has me confused

/ Toro 265h Wont crank over. #6  
It will still test the same its a double contact switch. Check for continuity between terminals in both the on and off position. That is a dual system for the solenoid. one set of switches provide ground to the solenoid the provides power. You should be getting one or the other to the solenoid, hopefully. Then trace out the side not completing the circut.

All the switches tested out fine, but im not getting ground, or 12v to the little posts on the solenoid.

/ Toro 265h Wont crank over. #8  
you will need to follow the circuits one at a time following the diagram for your tractor. Start with the power side, check for power at the key switch, turn key to start position, find the wire that lights up in that position, follow its path through safety switches to the solenoid.

well after much frustration, after messing with ignition. After thinking the switches were fine, it turns out the pto switch is bad.....

A few years ago the dealer put an ignition in, the plug in was bad, so they had to cut and put spade connectors on all the ignition wires, I unplugged them without marking what went where. Now im at a loss as to where they go on the ignition. The manual, doesnt match up to the colors, or ignition letters.

I have an orange, blue, red, yellow, white.

The ignition letters are as follows.

toro ignition.jpeg

Does anyone know what colors go to what on this?

Its a toro 265h model 72046

Thanks in advance, Jeff

/ Toro 265h Wont crank over. #10  
All I can tell you is S-is Start, G- is ground, M- is magneto (coil), The blank one I think will be Battery, A- should be to accessories. Use and ohm meter and test each of the terminals, with key off G should be connected to M,
with key in start position, S will be connected to Battery? (Blank one), key in run position, Battery will be connected to A?, and so on.
Then you need to test the wires on the tractor to see where they go to, one is from Battery, one will be the cranking (start) wire, one will go to the coil / shut down circut, and so on