Tractor keeps stalling

/ Tractor keeps stalling #1  

Racer

I have an old 50's Ferguson. It starts fine and runs for about 5-10 minutes and then stalls. It sounds like its running out of Gas. It seems like a fuel problem. It has fresh gas. What else should I look for? If I let it sit for a few minutes after it stalls, it will start right back up, but will do the same thing again.

/ Tractor keeps stalling #2  
Fuel filter/strainer in sediment bowl, rust in fuel line, etc. I would take the fuel line loose from the carb inlet and see how well the gas comes out. Ues a can to catch it with of course /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Tractor keeps stalling #3  
If you find its getting gas alright, then I would check the coil, and then condenser. It just about has to be one of the three.

/ Tractor keeps stalling #4  
I don't know how to check for it, but could vapor lock be the problem?

/ Tractor keeps stalling #5  
Had the same problem with my old 8N - turned out to be trash in the gas tank. It would settle to the bottom and tractor would start - then trash would get sucked to the outflow screen and block the line. Let it sit just for a minute - and it would start right back up again and stall again - fuel bowl / filter looked OK - drove me nutz for a good hour -- I was lucky in that the tank was near empty so I was able to see clear to the bottom and see the leaf (or whatever it was) moving around in there. took a little longer to clean it out as I remember.

/ Tractor keeps stalling #6  
Ditto with my skidsteer. I would say you've got a blockage somewhere.

/ Tractor keeps stalling #7  
Also check thee fuel tank vent. Start it up, and remove the fuel cap. If it keeps running the vent is plugged. If not I would bet a screen is plugged. I know the N's have three screens. Pickup in the tank, filter bowel, and at carb inlet, I would bet the ferggies do also.

/ Tractor keeps stalling #8  
Also RichZ had a simmler problem with his TO20 last year.

Rich's Ferggie problem

Some good info in that thred.

BTW Rich, what ended up being the problem?

/ Tractor keeps stalling #9  
has to be a restriction in the fuel system, when it sits fuel seeps in the bowl and as soon as u start it ,it runs out of gas.. appears someyhing is blocking the fuel flow .

/ Tractor keeps stalling #10  
When that exact same thing kept happening to my 62 Allis D-12, I finally took the fuel line off to the carb to drain the tank. Started out as a stream, slowed to a trickle, then to a drip. Hmm... full tank but no fuel coming out. Drained and removed tank. Looked inside and saw rust patches and loose rust chips. The chips were to big to get through the petcock to the sediment bowl, but plugged the petcock up cause its at lowest point in tank. There was no screen on tank side of petcock so what I did after cleaning the gunk out of the petcock was put a 1" long piece of 1/4" copper tube into the petcock and put a stainless steel screen bonnet on it. Put petcock back in, refilled tank and problem tractor ran fine. This was just a jury rig though.
The only way to "cure" the problem is to get the rust out of the tank then coat the inside with liner.
Hope this helps.