PTO won't stay engaged,pto lever "pops" out disengaging pto.(Ford 8n)

/ PTO won't stay engaged,pto lever "pops" out disengaging pto.(Ford 8n) #1  

kennyog

Tractor
Ford 8n

PTO on my Ford 8n won't stay engaged.The engaging lever pops out and PTO disengages.How do I repair this problem.It's a 1952 8n.Thank you in advance for your replies.
Ken

/ PTO won't stay engaged,pto lever "pops" out disengaging pto.(Ford 8n) #2  
first you need to do a lil diagnostics to see what may be a root cause.

with machine off. grab the lil pto stub at the back of the tractor. pul and push on it inand out of the housing. is there any in / out play? that will be thrust play and is a prime cause of pto walkin gitself out of engagement. thrust play can come from a bad bearing, slipped wear ring, broke or slipped out split ring, and or damaged bearing carrier housing.

also check for bearing play ( side play ).

if there is thrust play. drain oil or jack up the rear / drop the front and pull the pto shaft.

4 bolt job.

once you get the shaft assy out. damage will be evident.

if the bearing carrier is broke or the split ring has popepd out.. you might want a complete replacement assy vs just the bearing carrier.

also.. many times when the split rings pop out.. they shave the lip on the carrier so that they will no longer stay seated.. and / or the ring edges get worn.. do the same.. slip out more.

if you do piece it.. get a new seal and wear ring.. etc. gased can be bought or made of thin gasket paper.

post back.

if it is not thrust play.. it may be a bad detent.. or shifter is not moving it into engagement enough.

can check that out at the side cover with the shifter.

plenty of other issues.. but these are the EZ ones to check first.

/ PTO won't stay engaged,pto lever "pops" out disengaging pto.(Ford 8n)
There is in and out play.Do I have to "split" the tractor in half,or can I take the shaft out of the back end of the tractor?? Also,do I need to unbolt the side plate and remove the pto engagement lever? Thanks a bunch for the reply Soundguy!

/ PTO won't stay engaged,pto lever "pops" out disengaging pto.(Ford 8n) #4  
as i said. 4 bolt job.

slides out the back.. nose down, but up so you don't loose oil. OR drain it.

/ PTO won't stay engaged,pto lever "pops" out disengaging pto.(Ford 8n)
Gotcha,Thanks again Soundguy!

/ PTO won't stay engaged,pto lever "pops" out disengaging pto.(Ford 8n) #6  
Then to check on the splines on the inside tip of that shaft . If worn check the coupler inside splines aswell .That wil be from the side .

/ PTO won't stay engaged,pto lever "pops" out disengaging pto.(Ford 8n) #7  
year old thread you are replying to..... eh?

/ PTO won't stay engaged,pto lever "pops" out disengaging pto.(Ford 8n) #8  
I have the same problem. Drive shaft won't come out though. Does the tractor usually have to be split to fix this? Thank for any help.