JD 5203 PTO Slipping

/ JD 5203 PTO Slipping #1  

Sullydeere

Tractor
JD 5203
I was mowing and my pto was slipping when i wasn't in very thick brush. The engine never hesitated. Any suggestions on what direction to head. Currently have the operators manual only and have only found how to adjust the clutch lever. Thinking of starting there.

/ JD 5203 PTO Slipping #2  
Ind hyd pto or dual stage clutch?

/ JD 5203 PTO Slipping #3  
While I agree the manual wording is not the best, but Adjusting PTO Clutch Operating Rod is what you are looking for? I included a link to the manual.

Unless you have a lot of hours on the tractor using the PTO, I wonder why it is slipping. Whatever you have attached I would insure the slip clutch on it is adjusted correctly, if the attachment uses a shear pin check that it is a shear pin. I have seen a number of people put bolts in place of the shear pin.

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE268160_19/?tM=FR

/ JD 5203 PTO Slipping #4  
I was mowing and my pto was slipping when i wasn't in very thick brush

But not slipping when IN thick brush ?, not understanding.

What signs did you see to make you think it was slipping ?

Does the mower itself have a slip clutch or shear pin ?

/ JD 5203 PTO Slipping
It had a bolt and i put a shear pin in it. It's slipping in thick brush too. I can tell it's slipping by watching the PTO shaft slow way down untill i stop or raise it up to let it get back up to speed.

/ JD 5203 PTO Slipping #7  
Since it's hyd pto how long since hyd filter was changed. I'd advise checking hyd pressure. If hyd clutch slips much it will require replacement.