Reconnecting a pto that has a plastic shaft guard.

/ Reconnecting a pto that has a plastic shaft guard. #1  

uncleredeye

Tractor
John Deere
How do I get to the pto through the #$*&^ plastic?

/ Reconnecting a pto that has a plastic shaft guard. #2  
I really don't understand the question. What are you trying to do? About the only reason to get past the guard is to slap some grease on the shaft. All the other grease points are reachable without removing the shield.

/ Reconnecting a pto that has a plastic shaft guard. #3  
uncleredeye said:
How do I get to the pto through the #$*&^ plastic?

Ill get lynched for this, but I just remove the shield and throw it in the back corner of the shed.

/ Reconnecting a pto that has a plastic shaft guard. #4  
Ill get lynched for this, but I just remove the shield and throw it in the back corner of the shed.

That's not an option on most hay equipment, unless you like to stop and unwrap hay off the PTO shaft. Constantly.

If I understand the question correctly... for a short shaft I would stand the plastic guard on its end and lower the PTO shaft into it.

/ Reconnecting a pto that has a plastic shaft guard. #5  
Hijacking the thread a bit -
How many of you use the little chains to keep the guard from turning successfully?

As soon as I turned on my PTO with my chipper the dang little piece of plastic busted off, so now we just watch it whip around.

/ Reconnecting a pto that has a plastic shaft guard. #6  
I'm not sure but I think the OP may be talking about the bell end (cone) that protects us from the U-joint. That "protection" can make it difficult to access the spring loaded pin that keeps the shaft connected to the tractor (or the implement at the other end). If that is the case, I have trimmed the end (shortened the bell/cone) allowing easier access to the spring loaded pin.

/ Reconnecting a pto that has a plastic shaft guard. #7  
How many of you use the little chains to keep the guard from turning successfully?

As soon as I turned on my PTO with my chipper the dang little piece of plastic busted off, so now we just watch it whip around.

That happened to me once before too. The easiest way to avoid it happening is to keep the sleeve bearing greased. I repaired mine by using a hose clamp around the sleeve with a metal ring. Completely undo the hose clamp, slip it through the small metal ring then put that around the plastic tube. Tighten it just enough so it doesn't slip.

/ Reconnecting a pto that has a plastic shaft guard. #8  

I have always used them. Havent had one break yet.. maybe my time is coming!

/ Reconnecting a pto that has a plastic shaft guard. #9  
The plastic piece on mine slides back far enough I can get the PTO and connect/unconnect it. If you are looking to take the plastic off to do something with the PTO shaft, there are some keepers on there that make it difficult at best. If you shop for a replacement plastic piece, perhaps you will see what I am talking about and it would help you understand what you need to do.

/ Reconnecting a pto that has a plastic shaft guard. #10  
I've also found it a challenge if the plastic telescoping sleeve and PTO shaft are same length. Having the plastic a little shorter allows you to slide PTO shafts back together (say, after lubing) and then line up plastic sleeves. (If that's the problem we're talkin' about here)