Need a torque multiplier to get to 425#

/ Need a torque multiplier to get to 425# #1  

scobrado

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038E
I have a Frontier RB5060 rotary cutter. The manual says I need a torque multiplier to get the torque on the swinging blade nuts up to 425#. I see one at Northern Tools for $220. That's a lot. Anyone know of a good source on this tool? I don't need more than the 425#.

How much torque can I get out of a breaker bar and an extension?

/ Need a torque multiplier to get to 425# #2  
I would be looking to borrow a 3/4 drive torque wrench from some shop in the area, even if you have to load up the piece and take it to someone.
Just a thought!

/ Need a torque multiplier to get to 425# #3  
425 foot pounds is two grunts on a 10 foot cheater bar, 3/4 inch drive. How big is the nut, anyway?

/ Need a torque multiplier to get to 425# #5  
425 foot pounds is two grunts on a 10 foot cheater bar, 3/4 inch drive. How big is the nut, anyway?

Yes this would be the way to go. a 3/4" breaker bar, and a long cheater bar, personally I use a 6' cheater bar.

/ Need a torque multiplier to get to 425# #6  
Harbor freight used to have a 3/4 drive torque wrench that is pretty good quality at a good price. Not sure if they still sell it but if you want to be precise it would be a good choice.

/ Need a torque multiplier to get to 425# #7  
Assuming you have the socket and perhaps a torque wrench you can improvise by using an extender bar.
The info is in a snap-on booklet that I have someplace.
Simple explanation is that if you double the grip length you double the torque reading.
For a 1/2" torque you could use a 1/2" spanner as your extension.(you would need the spanner to be as long as the torque wrench to be accurate or calculate the ratio))
Another economical possibility would be the torque bars drives that the tire shops use to mount rims.
These are generally color coded about 6" long and simply are installed between the wheel nut and the impact gun.
I think they work based on the temper of the steel shank.
If it were me, and providing you had a pneumatic impact air driver, I'd simply fire up the impact and drive the nut on until it stopped turning just like the shops when they install your tires. Ever notice you cannot undo those lug nuts?
On that mower, the shafts and nuts will be graded steel so you won't strip them. Just use a new lock nut every time if one was originally there.
Like always be sure the threads are clean and drive them dry, no lube.
Just my opinion. (but then I was a licensed aircraft mechanic)

/ Need a torque multiplier to get to 425# #8  
I use a 5 foot cheater pipe on the 3/4 inch breaker bar, and pull til my eyes bug out! :laughing:

/ Need a torque multiplier to get to 425# #10  
Use a pipe to get a two foot lever arm, then get a 212 pound friend to stand on it.