'79 John Deere 2440 & 54 Farmall Super AV Cultivision need help on the JD

/ '79 John Deere 2440 & 54 Farmall Super AV Cultivision need help on the JD #1  

Randall McElwee

Tractor
JD 2440, Farmall Super AV Cultivision
Looking to see if there are any PTO, Hydraulic pros out there?
On my 2440 my PTO is slow to engage, once it builds up speed it sounds good but if I put it to low in about 10 inch grass it dang near stops turning, if I leave it a little off the ground where the wheel is not touching it runs a little longer but then the steering starts to go out. The previous owner darn near ran it out of hydraulic oil. I don't know if that matters but I am just looking for some insight from all you folks that are smarter than me.

Thanks in advance

/ '79 John Deere 2440 & 54 Farmall Super AV Cultivision need help on the JD #2  
Welcome to TBN.:tractor:

/ '79 John Deere 2440 & 54 Farmall Super AV Cultivision need help on the JD #3  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the Parts & Repairs forum. :)

/ '79 John Deere 2440 & 54 Farmall Super AV Cultivision need help on the JD #4  
I take it since power steering begins to fade while using pto that your tractor has the hyd ind pto with control lever between the 2 gearshift levers. More than likely a supply tube to ind pto clutch has failed and is leaking loosing hyd oil pressure. Lets try easy things 1st: how long since hyd filter was changed and sump screen checked/cleaned?

/ '79 John Deere 2440 & 54 Farmall Super AV Cultivision need help on the JD #5  
I take it since power steering begins to fade while using pto that your tractor has the hyd ind pto with control lever between the 2 gearshift levers. More than likely a supply tube to ind pto clutch has failed and is leaking loosing hyd oil pressure. Lets try easy things 1st: how long since hyd filter was changed and sump screen checked/cleaned?

Had this happen with my 2030. If you engaged the PTO all hydraulics quit, everything was dumping to sump thru the broken line. Disengaging the PTO and hydraulics came back. My line was broke off, maybe yours has a small hole in it?

Agreed do the easy things first, check the hydraulic level, change filter, clean sump screen.

Have you had any problems with water in your hydraulic fluid? Clutch pack linings my have been damaged.