Massey Ferguson 35 PTO Problem

/ Massey Ferguson 35 PTO Problem #1  

playinsteel

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 35
Hi All,

Just purchased a MF35. The previous owner said that the PTO would not engage, so I got it at (I think) a good deal. Well, I got it home and started tinkering around and found that I was able to engage and use the PTO to bush hog with the lever in the "Ground" position. However, I cannot get the lever to move to the "Engine" position. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this? I went through and checked all fluid levels and had to add just a little to the gear box to bring it up to the full mark on the dipstick (right side under seat). I haven't removed the plate where the PTO lever is located because I ran out of daylight. Hopefully someone can tell me what to look for.

BTW, this site is awesome. Almost didn't buy it because the shifter got stuck in reverse, but a quick search here turned up how to fix, and it worked like a charm. Thanks so much to all those who help us newbies with our dumb and often repeated questions.

Thanks

James (aka playinsteel)

/ Massey Ferguson 35 PTO Problem #2  
Hi All,

Just purchased a MF35. The previous owner said that the PTO would not engage, so I got it at (I think) a good deal. Well, I got it home and started tinkering around and found that I was able to engage and use the PTO to bush hog with the lever in the "Ground" position. However, I cannot get the lever to move to the "Engine" position. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this? I went through and checked all fluid levels and had to add just a little to the gear box to bring it up to the full mark on the dipstick (right side under seat). I haven't removed the plate where the PTO lever is located because I ran out of daylight. Hopefully someone can tell me what to look for.

BTW, this site is awesome. Almost didn't buy it because the shifter got stuck in reverse, but a quick search here turned up how to fix, and it worked like a charm. Thanks so much to all those who help us newbies with our dumb and often repeated questions.

Thanks

James (aka playinsteel)

I currently have the PTO cover off my 135 changing the trans/diff oil and filter and the only thing I can think of is possibly the detent in the lever is preventing the lever to be moved to the engine position or there may be a burr or something on the shaft not allowing the sliding gear to move to the engine position. The bottom line would be to drain off about half (4 gallons) of differential fluid. The bottom bolt hole on the PTO cover is through the differential casting and will leak fluid if the level is not low enough. Open up the PTO cover and check movement of the gear and check the lever movement. This would be a good time to clean the filter and possibly change all the fluid since you have to drain it down any way. I wouldn't wait to service the filter till later. I waited too long and found the filter was badly deteriorated and have been running unfiltered oil through the pump.

namyessam

/ Massey Ferguson 35 PTO Problem
I currently have the PTO cover off my 135 changing the trans/diff oil and filter and the only thing I can think of is possibly the detent in the lever is preventing the lever to be moved to the engine position or there may be a burr or something on the shaft not allowing the sliding gear to move to the engine position. The bottom line would be to drain off about half (4 gallons) of differential fluid. The bottom bolt hole on the PTO cover is through the differential casting and will leak fluid if the level is not low enough. Open up the PTO cover and check movement of the gear and check the lever movement. This would be a good time to clean the filter and possibly change all the fluid since you have to drain it down any way. I wouldn't wait to service the filter till later. I waited too long and found the filter was badly deteriorated and have been running unfiltered oil through the pump.

namyessam

Thanks namyessam for the tip on the filter. I went ahead and bought a bucket of fluid and am going to remove the cover now and see what I can find.

James

/ Massey Ferguson 35 PTO Problem #4  
If you are going to add a large amount of oil, you should change all 8 gallons. A little extra money now may save a very expensive repair on a pump later.

If you are going to add a large amount of oil, you should change all 8 gallons. A little extra money now may save a very expensive repair on a pump later.

Yeah, I'm going to change it all. Have to pick up another bucket. Just to be sure, it does take 80 GL-1 fluid, right? If not, I'll have to swap it out when I go back to the store.

I Wasn't able to pull the plate today, had some other stuff come up and before i knew it, the sun was setting (again). I'll try again tomorrow and will take some pics to post.

Thanks

James

/ Massey Ferguson 35 PTO Problem #6  
Yeah, I'm going to change it all. Have to pick up another bucket. Just to be sure, it does take 80 GL-1 fluid, right? If not, I'll have to swap it out when I go back to the store.

I Wasn't able to pull the plate today, had some other stuff come up and before i knew it, the sun was setting (again). I'll try again tomorrow and will take some pics to post.

Thanks

James

Check out the thread in the Massey Vintage / Classic section of this forum for a current thread "135 Massey Ferguson hydraulic filter" posted by megana. There are two members posting on that thread changing their oil and filter. "The Kid" explains the filter change process and what to watch for in great detail. There's not sense of me repeating it. Just remember the oil you purchase has to meet Massey Ferguson M1129 or M1129A specifications. It is said that these systems it lubricates are very fussy about the correct oil.

Well, I found the PTO engagement problem. The filter for the hydraulic pump had come loose and was laying stuck in the bottom of the case preventing the lever from moving. Also, I was amazed at the amount of water that had settled in the bottom of the case. Sure glad I listened and changed it all like you suggested. I went by the local dealer and got a new filter, fluid, oil filter, oil, and fuel filters. That was about $250, but I know everything is as it should be with regard to the lubrication. I even mopped up all of the fluid I could reach through the plate opening. Checked the gears, and they didn't seem worn or damaged. The magnetic tip on the tranny drain plug had very little metal on it. Man these are tough old tractors. Only thing is now the hitch arms, once raised don't want to go down. I have to disengage the clutch or turn off the engine and it slowly creeps down. Once down, if I leave the lift lever in the lower position, it will stay. Oh well, I can live with it for a while until I can figure out what's going on. Plus, I need to build up some more brownie points with the wife before I spend any more on it.

Thanks so much for all the help.

James

/ Massey Ferguson 35 PTO Problem #8  
Well, I found the PTO engagement problem. The filter for the hydraulic pump had come loose and was laying stuck in the bottom of the case preventing the lever from moving. Also, I was amazed at the amount of water that had settled in the bottom of the case. Sure glad I listened and changed it all like you suggested. I went by the local dealer and got a new filter, fluid, oil filter, oil, and fuel filters. That was about $250, but I know everything is as it should be with regard to the lubrication. I even mopped up all of the fluid I could reach through the plate opening. Checked the gears, and they didn't seem worn or damaged. The magnetic tip on the tranny drain plug had very little metal on it. Man these are tough old tractors. Only thing is now the hitch arms, once raised don't want to go down. I have to disengage the clutch or turn off the engine and it slowly creeps down. Once down, if I leave the lift lever in the lower position, it will stay. Oh well, I can live with it for a while until I can figure out what's going on. Plus, I need to build up some more brownie points with the wife before I spend any more on it.

Thanks so much for all the help.

James

If you checked out the other thread you should see in the pictures that "The Kid" posted where there is a safety wire securing the filter from unscrewing. Also if the tractor is stored outside you probably need to replace the boots around the shift levers. That is the primary spot for water to enter the gear case. Looks like someone's loss is your gain with a little grease under your fingernails and a small investment in parts and labor.

Thanks namyessam. I'll check out the pics. I didn't see anything like a wire when I looked in the case. The previous owner may have removed it, lost it, who knows...

Hey, I just realized your name is massseyman spelled backwards. Pretty cool:thumbsup:

I've enjoyed working on the old tractor. I bought it just for working around the property, with no plans for fixing anything other than what I had to. But the more I use it, the more I'm getting the 'Restoration Bug'. SHHHHHH, don't tell the wife...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I really do appreciate all your help...

James

/ Massey Ferguson 35 PTO Problem #10  
Hello. I hope someone can help with a MF TO35 Pto Problem. The PTO lever is loose, and will not allow me to engage the brushhog when the clutch is fully depressed. It just wants to grind. If I have the PTO engaged with the engine off, it wont start it up (which I would not usually due) the battery does not have enough power to start the mower. I am going to take the Pto plate off and take a look, but I done really know what I would be looking for. Any help is appreciated!