Steiner 220 loss of power - help!

/ Steiner 220 loss of power - help! #1  

simonchan

Tractor
Steiner 220
I just picked up a Steiner 220 mower a few weeks ago for the new house I just bought. I have about 2.2 - 2.5 acres to mow and wasn't going to do it with a 38" Snapper Zero Turn so anyways...

Stats of the mower:

Steiner 220 Turf Mower
2300 hours
72" Deck
20HP Onan Motor

I was also mowing an area where my goat pen is and its relatively high grass now since the previous owner didn't mow it before giving us posession anyhow away i started mowing and fairly slow just to ease into the grass and all of a sudden i felt a mild "thunk" and then the mower seemed to power down. it actually powered down where it stalled out and i just figured that the deck was set too low.

I re-adjusted got it started and then engaged the blades and drove it a forward. I felt a loss in power to the point where it stalled it out, and then I started it back up and it seemed fine except now the motor sounds a little louder and theres a tad bit more vibration.

i decided to cut my losses as I was running out of daylight and thought i would just get back to it later. I noticed it was a little low on Oil as well because at that same time the oil light was glaring at me. I filled accordingly and let it rest.

I went back to the new place and decided to try to dig into the mower again and found that the air hat was lose and there appeared to be a "more than normal" amount of oil/sludge liquid around the top of the airfilter/filter compartment. I disconnected the belt to the blades to see if maybe something got jammed up in the blade/spindle assembly that was binding it up and it didn't appear to be the issue. The blades move freely and there are no signs of wear or sounds that something is bound up.

I put eveything back together and was on level ground and attempted to mow again. as soon as i engaged the blades and started moving forward, I went over a little bit of grass and it sounded like it was about to stall out.

Moral of my issue, i lose power now when i move forward with the blades on and it doesn't seem to go much faster than 5mph. If the blades aren't on, the motor is at high speed idle and it moves forward but if I steer tight or engage the blades, it just powers down to the point if I go up ANY incline it stalls and shuts off. It used to fly at the 11mph....I just mowed with it the other night and it was perfectly fine...

The only thing I hadn't checked yet was hydraulic fluid/torq fluid resivoir. I also found that there is some random rubber hose just hanging down underneath. I coudln't find anywhere that it would need to be re-connected. It seems to be hooked solid to something on the other end going up into the hydraulic pump.....???

anyone experienced this before?? Anything to help is greatly appreciated...i hope its just somethin stupid....

Thanks in advance...

simon

/ Steiner 220 loss of power - help! #2  
I would do a compression test on the engine. The onan will seem like it's working ok without load but put a load on it and if one cylinder isn't up to par it'll start to choke out.

Steve

/ Steiner 220 loss of power - help! #3  
My father had an old Gravely 10hp garden tractor years ago...

Anyway it started revving past the limiter one day and sounded great but as soon as a load was placed on it it would lose power and stall out!

Ended up being the mechanical governor that had come off inside the crankcase.

Not saying its your problem but...